TR: Circling the K-K Divide, Climbing along the Muir Crest

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Circling the K-K Divide, Climbing along the Muir Crest

Post by steiny98 »

What an incredible trip! Bringing binoculars along is a great idea and one I might employ going forward. Your reports are always a treat.
levi
Topix Acquainted

Post by levi »

Wow! Such an inspiring report, connecting so many interesting pockets of SEKI, and the righteous peak bags to boot. I really enjoyed your recounting of the adventure. I'm also impressed at how you were able to rely on fishing for so many of your calories. I've been procrastinating on finally picking up the skill... too much to learn but so tempting!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by commonloon »

Wow. Incredible trip. Peaks, passes, fish(!), Eagles(!) and Bighorn(!) to boot. Wow.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the personal message pointing me to this trip. I missed it because I was gone.

I would love to climb Mt. Russell and Mt Muir. These are two of the three 14'ers I have yet to climb. But, over 10 years ahead of you in age, I am not sure I will ever get to do them. Maybe next year. Was the East Ridge of Russell OK to do solo? My nerves have probably NOT aged as well as yours. I am going to have to con someone into going with me and bring a rope. I am pretty good with up; but terrible at climbing down class 3.

I climbed Thunder Peak years ago with a group and we had a rope. It was pretty far out that you did it solo.

Another nice way to go from Casper Lake to Wallace Lake is to drop down the Kern and then go up Wallace Creek to the PCT, then up the use-trail to Wallace Lake. I have done both routes, and I really liked going down the Kern- was not boring at all. It was recommended by a back-country ranger I ran into at Milestone Basin.

I am not sure but I think the "rainbow" from Casper Lake is a "Goldbow", golden-rainbow cross.

I have camped at Arctic Lake three times - it is a uniquely wonderful place.

By the way, there are fish in Heart Lake too.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hi Nancy, thanks for the comments. My single TR is small recompense for your 6 from the Wind River Range.

Another TR you'll appreciate for a really creative bc route is commonloon's: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20915

They also climbed the east ridge of Russell, and provide a few more photos. I climbed it the first time in snowier conditions, and that required much more care, but in dry late summer, you would find it easy to keep out of the lower northern lake, 1000' below. There is always an option to move off the ridge to the north, and I happily used that on the way down. Following the true ridge is fantastic fun though.

100_4118.jpg
From here the north side of the ridge looks exposed, but see the opposite view of the same area below.

100_4146.jpg
From this angle, you can see that it's just a walk down on that side.

p.s. Yes Nancy, you've dated yourself nicely with the term "far out," which along with "groovy" and "bitchin" go right over my children's (now in their 20's) heads, and lead to derisive laughter. Somehow "cool" made the cut though, and they use it, ...along with "dude," which I just make fun of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

I would describe Mt Russell's East ridge route as a typical Sierra scramble, as far as, it looks far worse from a distance than when actually on the route. If you allow yourself to deviate from the ridge proper, dropping down a little bit on the northside, then it isn't too bad. Definitely all class 3, but with a few don't look down moments if exposure bugs you. There a 1 or 2 chimneys but they are less exposed and easily down climbed. The exposed bits for me were when walking/navigating the ridge (class 2).

Oh, @Harlen, @Wandering Daisy , I think I did say at some point to Henry: "Dude, that was so cool."
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

Dear Harlen, Your 2020 K-K Divide trip is an instant classic!! May Iive vicarilusly through you!

I love your route and killer exposure you got on Russel's East Ridge and Thunder Mountain

I didnt know you were such a prolific fisherman.. FISH ON !

Thank You for sharing and inspiring!!!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for the comments David, however re. this one: "I didn't know you were such a prolific fisherman..." I really am not. For years I just set up our boys, and cleaned their fish, but now that the boys are absent, and I have to pay for a bloody license, I am trying to figure it out. So far, I just throw out and retrieve spinning lures, and too often I retrieve nothing but line for having snagged some damn thing. I still have a thousand questions, but they are better voiced on the Fishing Hole area. Good luck with the smoke.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wow, glad I found this trip report. Excellent views of mountains and wildlife. Thank you so much for taking me along to places that I'll never go - way above my skill level. Even the more sedate places that you photographed gave one more reason for me to prioritize a hike in the Wallace Creek, Wright Creek, and Kern River drainages next year.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

What a wonderful TR! I spent half an hour going back and forth between your description and caltopo. Time well spent dreaming of future trips....