Trip Advice: South North Lake Loop (Counter Clockwise)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice: South North Lake Loop (Counter Clockwise)

Post by stevet »

Like your updated itinerary. It will be challenging but i like pushing it.

You’ll like choosing Alpine Col. The lakes you pass on the way are beautiful. (Better than Darwin IMHO). Lots of talus on the north side, some school bus size, but nothing remotely scary just a lot work. But for that work you get to see Goethe Lake.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Here is my trip report which differs from your objectives, but might have some useful information.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6758&hilit=south+north+complete

I did a complete loop, did trails only, and went counter clockwise. It was a high snow year but a month later than your planned start.
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbehlen »

Hi Everyone! I am finally doing this trip! I am headed out on October 1st but doing 6 days instead of 8. I am skipping Alpine Col and Knapsack Pass.

A couple of questions:

-Have you been in this area in early October? Any advice?
-I am prepared to bring extra food for a surprise storm and wait it out for a day or two.
-At what point in the weather forecast would you not go at all? Anything over 6inches of snow? 12? (I will monitor up until the day I leave)
-The forecast is predicting 35+ low for Dusy Basin for next weekend by NOAA. Is this reliable? How reliable are these in general?
-I am planning for TWO weeks from now so I assume temps will dip into the low 20s. I am planning for a 15 degree bag, 4.5oz fill puffy, Patagonia R1, and a Rain Jacket along with an Uber XLite and 8 Panels of Switchback for sleeping if needed. Thoughts on this gear list? Lighterpack Link: https://lighterpack.com/r/7dz8ao

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

where are you parking?
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbehlen »

I am planning to park at North Lake and hitch to South Lake to start the trip.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

To start, I've hitched from South Lake to North Lake before, but that was only in prime season when there is traffic on the road. When you go, it's anybody's guess if you can hitch a ride. I've skied that loop, but that was obviously when we were counting on the snow.

Some of those trails are such that two inches of snow will cover them and really screw up your navigation.

A Polaroid camera? Really? Is this 1975 again?

You probably need to pre-program your Garmin with useful emergency numbers, like the county sheriff's dispatcher. I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but it could turn out to be vital.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The suggestions I presented were based on a late June-early July trip. Now that you are doing it in October, you need to consider the considerably shorter days as well as lower night temperatures and possible significant storms. If a major storm is predicted I would just not do the trip.

Personally I would do it the opposite direction and get the difficult off-trail (Lemark Col) out of the way when you have a within-3-day weather report. If the weather goes bad, then you are on trails the later days. But you have the permit- possibly could be changed. If you get stuck in Darwin Basin in a storm, there is no easy way to get out.

Current SEKI restrictions do not allow going west of the PCT. These may change so keep an eye on SEKI closures. If they shut down all of SEKI you likely will get a trip cancellation from reserve.gov.
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbehlen »

WOW! It's been almost a year since I decided I wanted to do this trip. Well, work and life got in the way. That's okay though! I officially have a permit for June 12th and have been looking at this revised (admit slower and more smell the roses) type trip! I have been eyeing maps from the week of 06/09/21 on caltopo to estimate snow coverage btw. Can I have your opinion on my updated plans? My new goal is to ENJOY my time instead of flying through each area. My MAIN goal is to be in the right spot at the right times for sunsets and sunrises for the best photographs possible. Any tips are welcomed!

Saturday Day Zero: Drive to camp at South Lake, spend the night and acclimate

Sunday Day 1: South Lake to Dusy Basin - Camp Lower Dusy
Campsite: Lake Northwest of Columbine Peak?

Monday Day 2: Hike to Palisade Basin and explore
Campsite: Ridge above Lake 11523?

Tuesday Day 3: Head back down through Le Conte Canyon and camp below Bishop Pass
Campsite: Last campsite in Le Conte Canyon (lake to the west on the ridge?)

Wed Day 4: Climb Muir Pass and go to Sapphire and make camp.
Summit Spencer and Check Out Lakes to the East of Evo Basin?
Campsite: Sapphire Lake

Thursday Day 5: Camp in McGee Lakes Basin or Day Hike? Tips for this day?

Friday: Go to Darwin’s Bench and Explore Upper Canyon and camp. Where to camp? Bench or Canyon?

Saturday: Go over Lamarack and head home!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have always gone in at least to Long Lake on the same day as I drive to South Lake. The lakes east of Bishop Pass are very nice. If you want to get away from crowds, just go over to Chocolate Lakes. The first one is very close to the main trail. That makes the day to Dusy Basin easier and gives you more photo opportunities than staying in a campground. It is only about an hour's walk up to Long Lake. This also avoids the complications of car-camping. You can acclimate just as well slowly walking up the trail for an hour or so. If this creates a problem with your permit exit date, you would probably still be OK. Just say you could not safely make it out on time- they are very understanding.

June 12 is still an early trip even in a dry year. East side of Bishop Pass can have a snow patch over the switchbacks. Potluck Pass may also have some snow to get up it from Dusy. Lamark may still have the snowfield. If you have microspikes you may want to take them unless you get some solid information that they would not be needed.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

@mbehlen:
In addition to WD's remarks: Edit 5/11/22 You may have stream crossing issues in upper Le Conte Canyon, Darwin Bench, and McGee Lakes basin, assuming you are entering via McGee Canyon. Also, (Sorry, I missed that you changed from early to late season) N/S Lakes loop is an 8 day trip for the average hiker, yet you are also squeezing in a side trips to Palisades Basin, McGee Lakes Basin, the basin(s) east of Evolution Basin. The Palisades detour, alone, adds two days. If this is your idea of a leisurely smell the roses stroll, you are one exceptionally strong hiker!

As for timing for photo ops: I suggest you break out the daily miles that will predicates your chances of getting your sunrises and sunsets. IMO the sunsets are better than sun rises on this trail. Don't get me wrong, one of my best Sierra pics is a sunrise looking SW from upper Dusy Basin.
Ref: download/file.php?id=36640&mode=view But that was due to the dramatic effect of low clouds rising out from lower Dusy Basin a Le Conte Canyon.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.