Partner(s) for Kennedy to Horseshoe hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cahikr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Partner(s) for Kennedy to Horseshoe hike

Post by cahikr »

schmalz wrote:I'd be interested but time off work is always tough. If you were willing to the trip over Memorial Day weekend (3 days on trail), then I would most likely be in.
I too might be interested in doing this over Memorial weekend.
I have plans to do the jmt-pct loop out of Agnew meadow that weekend, but have been considering this as a backup plan if the snow continues to drop throughout May.
Pathfinder
Topix Novice

Post by Pathfinder »

schmalz wrote:I'd be interested but time off work is always tough. If you were willing to the trip over Memorial Day weekend (3 days on trail), then I would most likely be in.
Hey Schmalz & CAhiker; thanks, but 3 days on trail is too fast for me; I'm the slowest hiker on the PCT. :tear:
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

cahikr wrote:
I have plans to do the jmt-pct loop out of Agnew meadow that weekend, but have been considering this as a backup plan if the snow continues to drop throughout May.
Let's stay in touch :)

My current plan is to do a trip out of North Fork/Big Pine, but I think I'd be willing to do KM to Cottonwood stretch instead. Memorial Day seems like the perfect time to do it, though skeeters might be out already. I've always wanted to do that stretch but the car shuttle makes it tough to pull off.

Also, in case you are really considering it, I would want to take my dog with me. She's friendly, but some people might not want to backpack with a dog, or have a dog ride in their car for an hour on the shuttle between the two trailheads. :)

Cheers,
Brian
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

schmalz wrote:
cahikr wrote:
Let's stay in touch :)

My current plan is to do a trip out of North Fork/Big Pine, but I think I'd be willing to do KM to Cottonwood stretch instead. Memorial Day seems like the perfect time to do it, though skeeters might be out already. I've always wanted to do that stretch but the car shuttle makes it tough to pull off.

Also, in case you are really considering it, I would want to take my dog with me. She's friendly, but some people might not want to backpack with a dog, or have a dog ride in their car for an hour on the shuttle between the two trailheads. :)

Cheers,
Brian
My son and I are doing this in reverse this year, cottonwood to KM. Except we arn't going on the pch, we're going through mulky to strawberry then to templeton and follow the river trail to Monachi. Some amazing fishing along that route that doesn't get hit much.
Bradg wrote:There was virtually no snow in Beck Meadows. It looks like they run cattle there in the summer. We didn't like the look of the water in the Meadow because of the cow dung. We were lucky to find a spring on the side that had cleaner water.
There is a good spring that comes off Dutch John that is better than the water in beck, I know the people who have the property there. I hate all the clutter though.
I'm no suture for my future.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

Whoops, that was supposed to be a PM, but now that it has been quoted I'll just leave it. #-o
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

I don't have a problem with the dog as long as he doesn't chew my seats, I drive a fj cruiser that has a very small area in the rear seats.
I doubt that mosquito's will be a big problem, I did a loop over Cottonwood to Kern pk. and out at trail pass last Memorial weekend and there were not many bothering us.