A week of hiking near Tahoe (coming down from Oregon)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A week of hiking near Tahoe (coming down from Oregon)

Post by Tom_H »

adamschneider wrote:Wednesday 6/25: Explored Chimney Beach and Secret Cove Beach on the east side of Lake Tahoe (2 miles, out and back, 200').
Ahem!! You just revealed a lot about your interests in, um, natural beauty shall we say.

If you ever get back, do the climb of Mt. Tallac. It is an incredible view. And BTW, how was the Tamarack Trail?
adamschneider
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: A week of hiking near Tahoe (coming down from Oregon)

Post by adamschneider »

Tom_H wrote:
adamschneider wrote:Wednesday 6/25: Explored Chimney Beach and Secret Cove Beach on the east side of Lake Tahoe (2 miles, out and back, 200').
Ahem!! You just revealed a lot about your interests in, um, natural beauty shall we say.
Settle down... it was chilly and no one was naked. :) The best beaches, anywhere, are usually the ones you have to hike down to... and because they're secluded, they often end up as nude beaches. Secret Cove was beautiful, and I can only imagine what it'd look like on a calm sunny day. This was my view last Wednesday:
Secret Cove Beach.jpg
SO much nicer than the boring (and sometimes gated!) sandy stretches in South Lake Tahoe, and definitely worth a visit, whether your clothes are optional or not. Kudos to the USFS for maintaining these beaches on public land.
Tom_H wrote:If you ever get back, do the climb of Mt. Tallac. It is an incredible view.
I thought about doing Tallac, but it looked like a long hard slog up a relatively uninteresting trail. I'm sure the view is nice, but I can do hikes like that in Oregon!
Tom_H wrote:And BTW, how was the Tamarack Trail?
The Tamarack Trail was pretty overgrown and jungly in parts:
Tamarack Trail.jpg
Normally that wouldn't bother me, but it had rained all night, so I got completely soaked from the waist down. There were a few sections where I lost the trail, but before heading out I'd loaded up some other people's past GPS tracks, so I never got too far off before finding it again. Once I was at the top of the cliffs (about 8000'), it was just a normal trail. Despite the wetness, I enjoyed it a lot more than boring ol' Glen Alpine Road, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to do a loop from the Glen Alpine trailhead.

But here's the silver lining of hiking in the rain and fog:
raindrops on lupines.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://adamschneider.net/photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;