Matterhorn Canyon Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maytag
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Matterhorn Canyon Loop

Post by maytag »

We are heading up Matterhorn Canyon the first week of July and we are trying to decide where to stay on our 4th night...we are looking at somewhere between Burro Pass and Crown Lake. Does anyone want to chime in with their experience.
Thanks...
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Re: Matterhorn Canyon Loop

Post by Ikan Mas »

From my 2010 trip, there's a nice camp along the trail three miles west of Burro Pass at N38° 05.859' W119° 25.030' Elevation 9636 feet. It will hold 3-4 tents. If I recall correctly, there's an obivious fire ring that is visible from the trail.

Here's a couple of photos of the area:

Let me see if I can PM you a Google Maps point.

Ikan
Pato
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Pato »

I stayed just west of Burro Pass at the small tarns at the head of the canyon. The view of Matterhorn and the Sawtooth crest was spectacular at sunset. No fishing sadly...
08.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

No fishing there, but it's a beatiful area. We camped the night before below the pass along a creek. Very wary trout (especially compared to those in Matterhorn Canyon!) but great camping.

This are is one of our favorites/
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

It's really beautiful between Burro and Mule Passes - you won't have a problem finding a place to camp. The views from the passes are incredible. As you drop down into the canyon (Slide Canyon) from Burro Pass you will be in the trees, but it is wide open terrain near Pass.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Yes, those tarns are very pretty with the Sawtooth Ridge reflecting in them
at sunset.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Radnord
Topix Newbie

Post by Radnord »

There is also ample camping where the trail between Mule and Burro crosses Slide Creek.
maytag
Topix Acquainted

Post by maytag »

Just returned from an amazing trip...thanks for the recommendations on campsites. Found a sweet spot on a granite slab close to Piute Creek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sjaxon1
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Sjaxon1 »

Wow. What a difference a year of snow makes. Same location - photo taken last week.