Trip Report -Ionian Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fishon
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Trip Report -Ionian Basin

Post by Fishon »

Quick report on a trip from a few weeks ago (July 12-18).

Day 1: Maxson Trailhead to Flemming Lake
Hit the trail with three people at around 8:30AM made Flemming Lake after a long day on the trail. Bugs were not an issue.

Day 2: Flemming Lake to Goddard Canyon
One member of the group decided to head back to the trailhead due to breathing issues. He is experienced, had medication, and wasn't under duress so we allowed him the head back unaccompanied. This took a little time for him to arrange a pickup (sat phone) at the trailhead so we were behind schedule a bit. Stopped at Hell For Sure Lake for a break, noticed my pack was ripping along the hipbelt and main compartment. I was able to sew the pack up using fishing line an a hook from a fly for a needle. We continued over the pass and up Goddard Canyon, my goal was Martha Lake, but we only made it to the campsite near where the two trails up Goddard Canyon come together. Bugs not bad.

Day 3: Goddard Canyon to Lake 11951
Nice day on the trail. Big change in scenery once you head over the pass into the Ionian Basin. No bugs. Brief afternoon storm.

Day 4: Lake 11951 to Lake 11592
Short day on the trail. Saw two people far off in the distance at Lake 11827. Made Lake 11592 by 10:30am, hung out and rested the remainder of the day... got pounded by a storm from about 3pm until late in the night.

Day 5: Lake 11592 to Colby Meadow area (Evo Valley)
Dried out once the sun crested Mt. Solomans, then headed over Wanda Pass and made the mistake of heading along the south shore of Wanda Lake. We hiked in light rain and hail the whole day after reaching Wanda Lake.We could have probably hit the JMT quicker had we taken the east side of Wanda Lake towards the trail. Found a camp site and hung out under some trees. The sun came out and we were able to dry our clothing before nightfall.

Day 6: Colby Meadow to 1.5ish miles shy of Florence Lake
Long day on the trail. I had developed blisters on both heals the previous day but was able to patch them up. I told my hiking partner that I was willing to take the pain to get as many miles in as we could that day. Slept good that night.

Day 7: To Florence Lake out via ferry

Favorite photos from the trip. I think it might be time for a camera upgrade.
Nice Lakes (800x600).jpg
Hell For Sure Lake (800x600).jpg
San Joaquin River (800x600).jpg
Golden Trout (800x600).jpg
Lake 11951 (800x600).jpg
Lake 11818 (800x600).jpg
Lake 11592 Sunrise (800x600).jpg
Lake 11592 W.Pass (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report -Ionian Basin

Post by maverick »

Hi Fishon,

Thanks for the wonderful TR and pictures. Blisters are no fun, especially if you
don't catch them as soon as you feel a hot spot. Lucky you had the fishing
line and hook, multi-use items. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Nice report and pics of an amazing area Fish. No I'm not joining you guys on your death marches ;) , but you and your sons should join me for a fishing trip!!! :drinkers: :lol: :wink: Nice report bud! Glad you got out and got at em!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Nice trip report. I have always wanted to check out those areas. Thanks for posting!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Very nice trip report. Hoping to get there before I'm too old to backpack.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
papasequoia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by papasequoia »

The pics look pretty darn nice to me - bummer on the blisters. :-/
Nature always wins
> miles = < people
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Fishon,

Nice TR. I am eyeing a similar trip for 2015 in that area. I'd like to go TH to TH like you did. Were you dropped off at Courtright or did you leave a car there? If you left a car there, how long did it take to get a car at each trailhead prior to the start of the hike?

Thanks
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

cmon4day wrote:Fishon,

Nice TR. I am eyeing a similar trip for 2015 in that area. I'd like to go TH to TH like you did. Were you dropped off at Courtright or did you leave a car there? If you left a car there, how long did it take to get a car at each trailhead prior to the start of the hike?

Thanks
You can figure a minimum of 3 hours of driving from Florence to Courtright. Narrow, winding road over Kaiser Pass takes a long time to drive due to needing to avoid oncoming trucks with boat trailers on a one lane road.

http://tinyurl.com/lk6rw7p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It takes three hours to get from Fresno to either destination, and three hours point to point, so it will take six hours to set up a car shuttle assuming a local start. Add hours for LA, SF or other starting point...
Fishon
Topix Novice

Post by Fishon »

cmon4day wrote:Fishon,

Thanks
We didn't shuttle vehicles, we were dropped off and picked up by spouses.
papasequoia wrote:The pics look pretty darn nice to me - bummer on the blisters. :-/
I just want a new camera. The blisters were not that bad...just lost a very thin layer from each heal each day.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I thought the photos were great-good quality and composition. The rain can be good and bad news. It sure changes the look of things. It always feels good to take the right equipment so you remain comfortable and safe. Thanks for the report.