Morgan Lake/Pine Creek?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Morgan Lake/Pine Creek?

Post by c9h13no3 »

johnbarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:11 pm Tried to return to our vehicle last Friday after doing Italy Pass/JMT/Mono Pass. Ran into large washout on the road around 9500 ft elevation. Had to turn around. Beware. No easy way down from this washout. Probably could be done but we didn't feel it was worth the risk.

John
Yep, true story.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Morgan Lake/Pine Creek?

Post by giantbrookie »

johnbarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:11 pm Tried to return to our vehicle last Friday after doing Italy Pass/JMT/Mono Pass. Ran into large washout on the road around 9500 ft elevation. Had to turn around. Beware. No easy way down from this washout. Probably could be done but we didn't feel it was worth the risk.
John
It is fairly sketchy to descend into it, but you can go high above the trail to find a much easier crossing. There is sort of a "use trail" that has developed. So, if you're descending and you find your way cutoff by the washout, turn left and ascend until you are at a place where the slope angle is less. You'll see a little path going across. Once you've done this, you can descend fairly easily back to the trail then continue until you run into a 2nd (lower) washout. The lower one is easy to avoid by simply cutting the switchback (again, there is a little usepath). I went up this with my daughter and a friend on day 1 of an 8 day trip back in July so the lower washout was the first one in the following report: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20842
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;