1 to 2 night backpack trip (lake) suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 1 to 2 night backpack trip (lake) suggestions

Post by rlown »

Norris. road conditions are gonna suck anyway, so drive slow and watch out for the shady spots.

You are way over thinking this. Identify the places you want to see and the trip unfolds before you regardless of other stuff. Add time because of the normal delays in either permit or travel. Just do it?
markley
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by markley »

Thanks..Well the problem is that I have now identified too many places that I want to see (nor do i know what to expect as far as normal delays). I really just want to have some ideas as to what to expect. I know that our plans will change depending on a number of factors (weather, fire?, whether or not we want to leave an area, etc). I'd rather have an idea of some options going in and make the most of our short time, rather than just winging it once were out there...although i'm sure there will be plenty of winging it.
Cheers!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Here are two overnight hikes you can do out of Tuolumne Meadows that get you into real high alpine country. I have always been able to get walk-up permits for these in July or August with no reservation. Note: no campfires are allowed at either of these lakes, and you need bear canisters, which you can rent cheaply at the Tuolumne Meadows permit station. I don't fish, so I can't tell you if these lakes have fish.

1) Nelson Lake - maintained trail from the Tuolumne Meadows campground to Elizabeth Lake, then good use trail over a high pass with grand views of the whole Tuolumne Meadows area and Sierra crest, down a beautiful narrow valley with granite cliffs, and around the corner and up to gorgeous Nelson Lake (you may lose the trail in the last mile, but the route is obvious up to Nelson Lake). We camp in the trees at the edge of the meadow on the northwest corner of the lake to get the best views of the alpenglow on the cliffs on the other side. About 6 miles total distance and over 2000 foot elevation gain. This trail does NOT show on the standard maps, so ask about it at the Wilderness Permit station. Or send me a PM and I can send you a map.

2) Mono Pass trail to Upper Sardine Lake. This starts from the Mono Pass trailhead just west of Tioga Pass at about 9200 foot elevation and climbs up a well-graded and maintained trail to Mono Pass at about 11,000 feet, then drops down slightly to where you can see Upper Sardine Lake below you. Leave the trail and head cross-country down to decent campsites on the east side of the lake. Only about 5 miles. Besides the great alpine scenery along the route, at the campsite at Upper Sardine Lake, walk up the low rocky ridge to the east (about 50 foot elevation gain) for a stupendous view down Bloody Canyon to Mono Lake and the desert beyond. I always spend the sunset hour at this viewpoint when I camp here.

-Phil
markley
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by markley »

Thanks for those suggestions Phil! They both sound incredible and just what we are looking for..much appreciated!