Trip Report: North Lake to South Lake Loop 7/18-7/26

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Beantown
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Report: North Lake to South Lake Loop 7/18-7/26

Post by Beantown »

enjoyed reading your trip report! nothing like solo backpacking.

i too suffer from big wide foot! i got the vasque st elias in wide this year and its the most comfy boot I've owned yet. here it is in women. http://www.rei.com/product/855886/vasqu ... ots-womens.

if ya got questions for the jmt, you know me on fb this is brad m. O:)
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

by Beantown » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:00 pm
enjoyed reading your trip report! nothing like solo backpacking.

i too suffer from big wide foot! i got the vasque st elias in wide this year and its the most comfy boot I've owned yet.
Beantown, I've been looking at this pair to upgrade my current set as well. It's refreshing to hear some good reviews from it. I saw that Outdoorgearlab had them rated pretty high as well. Is there more detail you could go into about this pair? I'd love to hear about it! Thanks!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
tadavidson
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by tadavidson »

Thank you for the boot referral, I like the price of these better than the other wide toe box boots I found (Lowa), and I am definitely earning my REI dividend this year. :-)
Thanks for all who replied and posted! I read "Wild" way before the movie, actually had a hard time getting through it, which I don't ever feel with books usually. I live in greater Los Angeles area and have very little patience for the self-absorbed, ill-conceived things Angelinos think up to do to "conquer their demons." (self-inflicted ones, typically). I started getting really resentful of that attitude being in my beloved Sierras and "inspiring" those who probably shouldn't, to go on the PCT, already a freeway of sorts. I did finish it finally, and gave it away promptly to my marina's book swap. :-) (I live on my sailboat). I have solo backpacked for well over 20 years, a few times with friends, but there is something so sublime about not talkingfor days at a time and really going at your own pace and with your own agenda. It's always interesting to hear, "Aren't you scared?" from others...about what?? I have far more to fear walking out the door every day than I ever would in the wilderness, short of a bad fall where I was knocked unconscious or something.

My feet are almost healed...for real, it was serious abuse I put my piggies through! :-(
/Tania

Beantown wrote:enjoyed reading your trip report! nothing like solo backpacking.

i too suffer from big wide foot! i got the vasque st elias in wide this year and its the most comfy boot I've owned yet. here it is in women. http://www.rei.com/product/855886/vasqu ... ots-womens.

if ya got questions for the jmt, you know me on fb this is brad m. O:)