In my own opinion, it is already much too late in the season for two people to be making a 2 week trip into the backcountry. If you had at least 6 very strong people, all of whom have considerable summer backpacking experience, at least two of whom were trained experienced backcountry snowshoe and nordic ski packers, and everyone has all the gear necessary for snow survival and travel by nordic skis and snowshoes, and were going on a route where you could successfully travel in snow, then I would approve. Wandering Daisy and I were both professional guides with the same training, though I worked for a different outfitter and she has more experience than I.
The reason I recommend against it is because, even if you left right now, it is entirely possible that a major storm could bury you under many feet of snow at your farthest point into the backcountry. At this time of year and having only 2 people with your level of experience, you really need to plan shorter trips where you are always near enough to a trailhead that you could evacuate.
You can take dogs into Desolation, and there are a number of places in Deso where you can get cell coverage and thus weather reports. There is also a route that's about a week trip, passing around 28 lakes, but you parallel highway, and have about 3 places where you can turn onto a side trail and exit in an emergency.
Here is a map with a route that goes from Echo Lakes to Meeks Bay. Your emergency evacuation routes are marked in purple and your primary route in red. If you undertake a trip at this time of year, you should not do any random exploring. You should decide exactly where you are going, have a trip plan (print from here: http://reconn.org
), leave copies of the plan with several people, and notify all of them the moment you get out of the wilderness. If you are not back by a certain time, you need to have given them instructions re. how to contact SAR (search and rescue) for the area you are in, giving them a copy of your plan. If you do this route, take your cell phone. Keep it off to save the battery, but from the top of any pass or the top of Mt. Tallac, try to call your contact and let them know where you are, whether you are on schedule, any difficulties you are experiencing, etc.