PCT Section Hike - JMT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: PCT Section Hike - JMT

Post by Wandering Daisy »

By the time the PCT'ers hit the Sierra they have already been out a month or more and are in great shape, totally acclimated and accustomed to the 25+ miles per day. They have it down to a science. Plus they seldom do this day after day. Usually 3-5 days on the trail then a "zero" in town. Perhaps, you should start with a few lower mile days and then work up to the longer days to avoid injury (particularly feet).

Carrying 7 days food is not that bad. Every day your pack gets lighter too! If you re-pack the food, it fits in a bear can. I would say take a minimal amount you think you need to reach Reds Meadow, and if you see you are running low when you near Muir Ranch, then get some there. You may not have to. I have also begged food off backpackers on the trail. A lot of people going out have brought too much food and are very happy to get rid of some. I have scored gas for my stove this way too.

I disagree that you cannot enjoy or see much if you do those miles. A relatively moderate trail pace is 2mph. If you limit rest stops, 10 hours of walking is 20 miles. Mid July you have 16 hours of daylight. Hike 12 hours and you about have your 25 miles. If you go UL carrying a pack does not mean you are looking down at the trail all day. I see plenty while I am hiking. My old body would not be able to keep up 25 miles a day for 9 days straight, but young fit people should do just fine. You just have to be a very dedicated hiker and keep your feet from getting beat up. The few times I have camped at the Muir Ranch campsite I saw several people who had to quit because their feet were hamburger.

Good luck. Have fun.
NoBoHiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by NoBoHiker »

Thank you all for the feedback. Regarding the Mileage, I am not concerned at all as I have done several trips with similar Mileage before and I guess I'll need even less time. I am actually a PCT Weekend/Section Hiker and now its time for me to cover the JMT/PCT section this summer!!
One last comment about the Mileage, I completely understand folks taking their time staying in camp and enjoying the being out there, but my day usually starts early in the morning when I can't wait to get back on the trail. Hiking during the golden hours (sunset/sunrise) is a special treat and my curiosity about whats waiting for me down the trail is driving me forward during the rest of the day.

Anyways, my take away based on your feedback is that I won't ship to Muir Ranch, I'll rather plan for foot until the day before arriving at Reds and chances are that I'll find something at Muir Ranch in the Hiker box I can nibble on, but I won't rely on it - I'll probably get to have Oatmeal with Ketchup ;-)

It isn't worth shipping into Reds either as it is only 36 to Tuolumne Meadows, so'll have Burgers and probably take some more more to go + I hear they have a good stocked market there so I can get whatever I care fore at that time.

Overall, I hope this works well, especially since I usually have less of an appetite for the first couple of days on the trail anyways which may be related due to the high water intake on my 'big mile days'.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

NoBoHiker wrote:
Anyways, my take away based on your feedback is that I won't ship to Muir Ranch, I'll rather plan for foot until the day before arriving at Reds and chances are that I'll find something at Muir Ranch in the Hiker box I can nibble on, but I won't rely on it - I'll probably get to have Oatmeal with Ketchup ;-)
The Muir Ranch hiker box when I was there in late July was 15 5 gallon buckets with the contents sorted into specific items, toiletries, clothing, books, and misc. One bucket of instant potatoes, another of olive oil, another of oatmeal....

The resuppliers looked mighty happy tho. I've never seen a box of cookies vanish in just a few seconds like that before. You won't find cookies in the buckets....
NoBoHiker
Topix Novice

Post by NoBoHiker »

The Muir Ranch hiker box when I was there in late July was 15 5 gallon buckets with the contents sorted into specific items, toiletries, clothing, books, and misc. One bucket of instant potatoes, another of olive oil, another of oatmeal....

The resuppliers looked mighty happy tho. I've never seen a box of cookies vanish in just a few seconds like that before. You won't find cookies in the buckets....
;-)
Thanks for sharing - wow, a 15 bucket hiker box! I guess folks definitively tend to overpack then..
RE cookies: I'll bring plenty of Chocolate and then bring some extra, thanks!