Advice Request

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice Request

Post by SSSdave »

With just 2 or 3 nights would just do Graveyard Lakes, semi base camping at different lakes. Lakes melted out recently. Lake's 2 and 3:

papercup
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice Request

Post by papercup »

I struggle with two or three night trips, because it feels like too much time to just hike over a pass and back, or to a lake and back, but it's not enough time to get deep into the mountains (if you're like me and don't tend to do huge mileage days, which it sounds like you are). It's an east side option (which is all I really know), but if you're interested in high country, you might have fun going over Bishop Pass to Dusy Basin, connecting up with Palisade Basin, and returning. Bishop Pass is a super popular trail, so you won't have much in the way of solitude at first. But once you get over the pass to Dusy Basin, you can start wandering off trail and things will get pretty quiet as you get further away. From there you can go over either Knapsack or Thunderbolt Pass into Palisade Basin, and return via whichever one you didn't use to enter. Palisade Basin will generally be quiet and isolated and peaceful, although you may see another group or two. This would match your available time -- if you only have two nights you could do Dusy on night one, Palisade on night two, and then out; if you have three nights you'd have more time to space it out or explore whatever portion of it is most interesting to you. This would also match your desired mileage, and would get you some alpine exploration, some solitude, and some good fishing. Plus it's a bit of a lollipop rather than a straight out-and-back.