Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Cannot get my Inyo permit

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I cannot seem to get my Inyo permit. Cannot get through at all on phone. The e-mail link given does not work- my Outlook will not send it. The e-mail I got with instructions give phone number then says press 1- does not work - finally got through to an answering machine by pressing 0.
You have to answer that you viewed the "no trace" video - but no link to it. Cannot find it on Inyo web site. Guess I just have to say yes. it is not as if I have not heard it a hundred times. :mad:

At this point I am very frustrated! Any suggestions?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks. I guess my eyes are getting old!

The video is really pretty stupid. I thought they could put together something a lot better than that.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

After two phone messages and two e-mails, a real person from the Bishop office called me and we did the permit. He had no idea of conditions up at the Mammoth area. He said that he has the same problems phoning the Mammoth office as the general public. Mammoth does not even communicate with them about road opening so they too have to just wait and see what is put up by the Mammoth office on the website. So I still hope to hear from Mammoth to find out logistics of where to park if the road is closed, or what to do if the road opens when I come out.

What a mess. The FS staff is just as frustrated as we are.

As for those who think the new system is great because they do not have to wait in line-- well, instead of spending 20 minutes in line I just spent two hours to figure out how to get my permit on-line. I suppose it gets easier once you figure it out.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I had to try 3 different numbers before I got through, have had the best luck calling the lone pine office! Have not got a permit with just emailing have had to call both times!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I emailed for my permit yesterday for a 6/21 entry (Cottonwood Lakes). Have people been receiving their permits by email? Mine seemed to send okay through Outlook, but after reading WD's posts I'm wondering if others are getting a response? I'd hate to have to make almost 100 calls to Lone Pine like last season. I'd be tempted to just print out my email request for a permit and use that if I hear nothing back.

John
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

You have a few weeks before your trip. I recall that with e-mail you wait a few days for response. I would not worry yet. My e-mail has really strict security (it is through my husbands business). Yours probably worked fine. I would call if you get no response in a week.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

I have gotten 2 permits so far via email, within 2 days of requesting them via email. No issues.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Teresa Gergen wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:12 pm I have gotten 2 permits so far via email, within 2 days of requesting them via email. No issues.
Beautiful. Glad I give plenty of time as well.

John
ttucker9
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ttucker9 »

I believe it has already been mentioned that the Sierra NF has finally joined the 21st century by taking permits online with recreation.gov. Got on the site Sunday to reserve a permit for 6/10 for the Potter Pass Trailhead. Was about finished when I saw the note that permits must be picked up at the FS office before 10 am. Otherwise, you lose your permit. Seemed a bit ridiculous to me so figured I'd call the High Sierra Station since that's where I have to pick up the permit. Took 2 days of busy signals, but finally got someone on the line this morning. She told me "we don't really go by those rules. You can pick up your permit anytime before we close at 4:30". The office is not open for "regular" customer visits. While I'm happy SNF permits can finally be reserved online, why can't they at least have an automated answering message telling us what is really going on without having to endure days of busy signals to get that info?

Update on 6/10: Got a call yesterday from the High Sierra office to inform me of pickup rules. They told me late pickup is available in their outside box. I am impressed they will at least go to that much trouble.
Last edited by ttucker9 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.