Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by John Harper »

They are posting the "walk up" permits on Recreation.gov 14 days in advance. At least for Inyo NF wilderness permits. I have not been able to contact anyone at the Lone Pine office to see how to get my wilderness permit generated from my reservation as yet.

John
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by OutdoorRandy »

I have a reservation for 6/13/20. Yesterday I called 18 times and never got a hold of anyone. I finally was able to get through this morning at 8am on my second try.

They saw my permit history and I got an abbreviated LNT talk. The permit was then emailed to me.
(Edit: it’s for Inyo NF)
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

I have a reservation for next Friday. After 4 attempts today, around 3:30pm, I managed to get through on the phone to Inyo NF at (760) 873-2483. The ranger on the phone was super nice, and said their phone lines have been extra busy recently.
ShaunDiego99
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ShaunDiego99 »

I tried this AM at 9:30 am and got through on first try. Its just a matter of luck (but they did tell me their phone lines have been going crazy all week). they simply email you a permit - quick and simple
rrrice
Topix Novice

Post by rrrice »

I've been watching for the release of the walk-up quota for a couple of different trailheads. Based on my understanding, those are to be released 14 days prior to the entry date. By that standard, the walk-up quota for June 25 should have been released today. I can't tell for sure, but by sampling a few different trailheads, it appears the walk-up quota has only been released up until approximately June 18 or 19. I determined this by hovering over the available permits and seeing if it shows the total of only the reserved quota, or the entire quota. Has anyone actually had any success in reserving a permit from the walk-up quota?
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

rrrice -
Here’s your answer (from a different topic thread):
BaneSierras wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:59 pm
c0ryh wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:23 pm Right when you think you have recreation.gov figured out, you realize you don’t. I checked Piute pass permits for 6/18/2020 yesterday and today at 7am PST, hoping the walk up permits would post. However, nothing has changed, there are still zero permits available. Does anyone understand why the additional permits for the 18th did not post two weeks ahead of time at 7am PST?
From my conversation with the office and my experience gaining a walk up permit for 6/1 they are not releasing the permits on recreation.gov until you call in. You just can't call in until 14 days before trip. They release them while you are on the phone with them for the exact trail and quantity you request. They wait for you to grab them, finish the process to completion, then give you the talk and email you the permit.
... I hope that helps.
rrrice
Topix Novice

Post by rrrice »

Thanks grampy. That is helpful. I will call in.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Stanislaus NF Now Issuing Wilderness Permits

Post by maverick »

SNF:
The Stanislaus National Forest is issuing free wilderness permits for overnight stays in the Emigrant, Carson-Iceberg and Mokelumne wilderness areas!
See the instructions and request a permit at https://www.fs.usda.gov/attmain/stanisl ... cialplaces.
Please note that NO CAMPFIRES ARE PERMITTED in wilderness areas due to fire restrictions under forest order STF-16-2020-08 (pinned to top). The order limits campfires outside of developed recreation sites and limits equipment to cookstoves with liquid/gel fuel with an on/off switch.
Be safe and enjoy the wilderness!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

I have had zero luck getting thru to try and reserve the "walk-up" permits today. Been trying since they opened too. :(
walkawhile
Topix Novice

Post by walkawhile »

So I started calling White mountain wilderness permit station at 8:00am today. I called non stop until 9:45 when I finally got through. The Ranger said that additional staff were coming on board next week to help answer phones.