Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by AlmostThere »

dustybottoms21 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 pm Are you guys familiar with the twin lakes trail in SEKI? And does anyone know if you can submit an application for a backcountry permit here prior to your trip? Or is this a first come first serve only trailhead? I'm finding conflicting info online.
The Lakes trail is first come, first serve. All the other trailheads in SEKI are quota'd including Twin Lakes - except in winter, when it is all self registration walk ins and free. The quota season in SEKI is Memorial day through late September.

SEKI trip planner is here: https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... -Final.pdf
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

So the lakes trail is the one that runs east from generals hwy towards emerald lakes and others right?

And twin lake goes north from generals hwy and connects with Jennie Lakes?

The former is walk up only but the latter you can submit for a permit in advance? I just want to make sure I’m on the same page.

If we’re planning to go in early/mid June, do you think our chances for accessing either trailhead are high or low?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

The Lakes trail is from Wolverton to Pear Lake. The Twin Lakes trail goes from Lodgepole campground up Cahoon Gap into Twin Lakes, over Silliman Pass. The JO cutoff heads over to Jennie Lake and the trail beyond Ranger Lake goes into Jennie Wilderness for a while and then back into the park in Sugarloaf/Roaring River. Twin Lakes is very popular and you begin submitting for permits in March each year.

Early June may be too soon, as in a good snow year the pass and beyond will still be under snow. Stream crossings will be treacherous. A hiking companion fell in Silliman Creek (the first crossing on the Twin Lakes trail) and injured her toe, after which it became so swollen and painful she couldn't walk on it and the infection started to travel up her foot. In 2017 someone died trying to cross Silliman. I don't doubt you could get a permit tho. It's easy if you start midweek.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

And the view from Silliman Pass is incredible!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Damn. I'll push back my timing if I have to. But it sounds like you're saying I probably won't even get the permits anyway. So I submit my preferred options on March 1st but how long does it take to hear back from them? We'll have flights to book and I'm just curious.

Here's a thread I started regarding the trip...
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=19072
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Inyo NF permits temporarily available at midnight instead of 7 a.m.

Post by oleander »

Heads up! If you are going for one of the more popular Inyo National Forest permits, the type that get snagged on the first day (or even the first 30 minutes) of availability 6 months before your trip:

Recreation.gov has been temporarily opening up these permits at midnight, rather than the traditional 7 a.m. Thus, if you wait till 7 a.m. to log in and check for permits, you may find the quota for your entry date already filled.

I was told by the helpful person on Inyo's permit phone line that this is indeed a temporary situation. They are hoping within the next week to permanently move the availability window back to a 7 a.m. start.

- Oleander
sambieni
Topix Regular

Re: Inyo NF permits temporarily available at midnight instead of 7 a.m.

Post by sambieni »

oleander wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:04 pm Recreation.gov has been temporarily opening up these permits at midnight, rather than the traditional 7 a.m. Thus, if you wait till 7 a.m. to log in and check for permits, you may find the quota for your entry date already filled.

I was told by the helpful person on Inyo's permit phone line that this is indeed a temporary situation. They are hoping within the next week to permanently move the availability window back to a 7 a.m. start.

- Oleander
Thank you for this midnight info! I am SHOCKED at how fast things moved. Last night, I logged on couple minutes before midnight for 2-3 Puite Passes. I got in and clicked refresh exactly when they went live for the next day's quota. Went to book and clicked through and immediately they were 100% gone. I tend to be a pro at ticketmaster type frenzies - I almost always score tickets when others do not - so I was shocked it went that quickly and I was shutout for my preferred trailhead. I have to think someone just snagged nearly all the passes at once. I am aware there is a Sierra Club trip for 10 people slated for the same dates, maybe they got them already slotted for them?

I was able to score Bishop Pass. Not my provided routing for the S/N Lake Loop, but will have to do.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

How are people doing on securing their permits so far in SEKI?

I submitted around 7am EST on March 1st for Belle Canyon and Sugarloaf and I still haven’t heard back yet. June 20th-23rd. The suspense is killing me!!!!
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Dustybottoms21 -
My application - 12:17 AM on Mar 1 - for Twin Lakes TH in August - was approved today. I spoke to a ranger who had JUST processed it, and got the e-mail 5 minutes later. Lots of “early” submittals are for just two trailheads (Woods Creek and High Sierra Trail), and it takes them some time to wade through these. Your 4:00 AM (PST) request for Belle Canyon will almost certainly be approved, assuming you’re not requesting 12 slots or something.
I hope you are successful!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

dustybottoms21 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:38 pm How are people doing on securing their permits so far in SEKI?

I submitted around 7am EST on March 1st for Belle Canyon and Sugarloaf and I still haven’t heard back yet. June 20th-23rd. The suspense is killing me!!!!
My 12:17 permit for the Alta trailhead was granted today.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.