Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by balzaccom »

Nope--I called the Bass Lake ranger station. They said to call back the day before our trip, and they could issue a walk-up permit and leave it outside the office for pickup the next day. Very nice people, really willing to help.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dougieb »

I mailed in a permit application to the Prather station 3 weeks ago and received a permit confirmation in the mail two weeks later. There is nothing unique on the permit confirmation form, it just confirms my permit reservation and says to pick up the permit at the High Sierra Ranger Station in Prather by 12 noon on the first day of the trip.
David_Caruso
Topix Acquainted

Re: Hoover Wilderness permit information

Post by David_Caruso »

wildhiker wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:03 pm The Hoover Wilderness abutting the northeast side of Yosemite Park is mostly on the Humboldt-Toiyabe national forest. According to their website, some of their trailheads, such as Leavitt Meadows, Buckeye Creek, Twin Lakes, Green Lakes, and Virginia Lakes, have overnight quotas during the quota season from last Friday in June (that's June 26 this year) to September 15. A few lesser used trailheads, such as the Little Walker River and Molybdenite Creek, never have quotas.

The Hoover Wilderness quota trailhead permits can now be reserved on recreation.gov. The forest website says to pick up your reserved (or walk-up) permit at the office in Bridgeport. But the website also says the office is closed because of COVID-19. So how do you get your permit?

I phone the Bridgeport ranger district office (760-932-7070) on Friday and got a message telling me that the office is closed and there is no one to answer the phone, but staff are checking periodically for voicemail messages and will return calls. So I left a message asking about how to actually get a permit. A forest service staffer called back today (Monday) and left a voicemail message for me (I was out in the garden). Here is what he said:

If you reserve a permit for a quota trailhead in recreation.gov, the forest will email the actual permit to you and you should print it to take with you (presumably OK to have it on your phone as well). If you want to start at a non-quota trailhead, just fill out a self-registration at the trailhead. He said they are also "hoping to start walk-up permits on June 26" for the quota trailheads - no elaboration on how/where those will be issued.

-Phil
Hi all,

Has anyone since confirmed that the Bridgeport RD is now open for walk ups? I suddenly got some time off work and would like to get a last minute permit for the Green Creek trail head next week. I've called and can't seem to get through to anyone.

Edited to say that I've printed my reservation and receipt off of the recreation.gov site and will carry that with me as a total backup plan of the RD is indeed closed.

Thanks...great thread.
David_Caruso
Topix Acquainted

Post by David_Caruso »

Ok, so I made my first post on here...then the Bridgeport RD calls me back 20min later. Very cosmic.

They said the information on recreation.gov is somewhat dated.

If you make a last minute trip arrangement online, that they will see if get you out an email to print at home. Mine should be emailed to me tomorrow, for a Monday trip.

They do have a walk up window but she said it's a hit or miss on if someone is there and can help you. But it's an option of last resort.
physicshappens
Topix Newbie

Post by physicshappens »

As of 2020 with the Covid-19 crisis, I think the emailing of wilderness permits for print at home is pretty common if not universal. I know Yosemite is doing all permits by email, and Inyo will send by email if you call within 14 days of the start of your trip. You are likely to get voicemail when you call, just leave a message with your reservation number and they will email it to the email address you gave when making the reservation.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Has anyone been successful getting a permit issued using an email request as specified in the recreation.gov "Reservation Reminder" email you receive when you make a reservation?

Sorry if this is a redundant question, I did look about for an answer...I got a permit for Sawmill Pass entry this coming Friday and the email I received says I can request my permit by email if I follow some easy steps. Very cool since getting someone on the phone has been so difficult. The problem is I follow the instructions for requesting the permit via email and I've gotten no response. I have had real difficulty getting through on the phone.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

I am also waiting to hear back on an email request for Inyo permit that I sent on 7/6. No reply yet.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

I finally got through on the phone to acquire my permit. I asked about the email request option that is identified on the "reservation reminder" email I received. I was told that they haven't quite worked out all the kinks yet. It will be great when they do.

I'm excited about being able to start the Sawmill Pass early without having to drive up the day before. Wouldn't normally be able to do that except for the email permit. I sure hope the email permit system stays in place after the COVID situation passes.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

I finally gave up on email with Inyo after 5 days and called them. I got through after about 10 minutes.
jfr
Topix Acquainted

Post by jfr »

Took me 45 minutes on the phone with Inyo NF but I got through and got my permit. Yay!

I asked about the email option and the ranger said that they were doing them by date - as in, the actual date of the hike, so they do the closest ones first, then work their way out to 14 days. At the moment they're getting them to you about two days before the hike. That's cutting things a bit too close for comfort, for me, but at least they're getting it done. I think I'll call next time anyway...
Trip Reports and PhotoJournal: http://hikingtales.com/