Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sierradoug
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by sierradoug »

So, I still don't understand how one is supposed to get the actual permit: print it yourself from an email from them -or- pick it up at the ranger station near your trailhead. Which is it? Thanks.
astrogerly
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by astrogerly »

Print it from the email. No need for an extra stop if you do that - and it should be already digitally signed by a Ranger (double check that part - they had to resend one once for me because they forgot).
sierradoug
Topix Novice

Post by sierradoug »

@astrogerly Thank you. However, I just checked my Junk, Spam, and Trash email folders and didn't find any email back from them with the permit.

What a messed-up bureaucracy! If only they did email it to me...or at least answered their phone. I suppose the whole country has cabin fever and is going out into the mountains after the shutdown. Sigh.

Again, the email I got on the day of the start of my trip said I should pick it up in person. Why would they say that if I'm supposed to print it out at home? Has anyone else run into this glitch?
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

@sierradoug oops. I missed the ‘no’ in your previous post or two ago. Makes more sense now - been reading too many emails these days and my eyes must be going bad. Apologies. Now your frustration makes more sense. I’ve always received a reply to my permit “pick-up” emails with the permit attached - sometimes it didn’t come until the day before, sometimes several days before. Only once has it come too close to the wire for my comfort and I’ve called and they sent it right away.

Yeah, understand the frustration. There have been times I had to try several of the ranger stations to finally get thru to someone. Honestly, as someone who works for the the bureaucracy and deals with limited staffing and funding all the time, I’ve just gotten used to being a little more patient with everything these days. Frustrations are still there too, but just balancing it all.
sierradoug
Topix Novice

Post by sierradoug »

I finally got through to the Inyo permit center. She said they're understaffed—she's the only one there. And issuing of permits is backlogged, so they (probably) never emailed me my permit.

In the good news department, she said "visitors centers" (ie ranger stations where you used to get a permit) are starting to open up. White Mountain will open June 24. A couple others are already open.

And if you are in the position I was in—no permit came in the email—you can show up at the relevant visitors center with your permit number (on the Reservation Confirmation email) and they will print the permit for you. I assume on the morning of your trip start date.

Progress!
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Glad that you were able to get through finally! Also glad to hear the stations are starting to open up more… and that they can get the permits for you if they are still backlogged, which I’m sure they’ll be for some time. Progress indeed 🙂
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I am currently having a similar Inyo problem. Followed the directions for getting the permit by email, and nothing has come for 5 days. Tried to call, cannot get through. If I pick up in person they say Mammoth is not open and so would have to drive to Bishop, way out-of-the-way.

Anyone have any tricks or suggestions for how to turn my reservation into a real permit?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I got a reservation, called (Mono Wilderness Center), and received the permit the same day.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I have tried the email now for 4 different permits never got an email back, just call, try any one of the 4 places so far best luck calling mono lake and mammoth to get a person, did try 9ish once couldnt get through anywhere! Once you talk to someone is in your email almost instantly up to an hour for me!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Here's the phone numbers for the different offices:
Lone Pine area; Eastern Sierra Visitor Center 760-876-6200 or 760-876-6222
Bishop area: White Mountain Ranger Station 760-873-2500 (press 0) or 760-873-2503
Mammoth area: Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center 760-924-5500 (press 1)
Lee Vining area: Mono Basin Scenic Area 760-647-3044
Wilderness Permit Office: 760-873-2483 (press 0)