TR: Big Pine Creek N Fork, 26 August 2016

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scipio
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: Big Pine Creek N Fork, 26 August 2016

Post by scipio »

TR = Trail Run :)

I haven't been to Big Pine Creek in more than 20 years, it was great to get back up there.

I wanted to run the North Fork/Lakes loop, and possibly get up to Sam Mack Meadow. By the time I got up to First Lake, though, I was feeling the altitude already, so I skipped Sam Mack, and took the loop around Black Lake and back down to the junction below second falls. Up until Fifth Lake it was more walking than running...

It was as amazing as I remembered it, but 2 things seemed different:

1. It seemed a LOT drier than I remember, especially up past second lake - the trees seemed sparser around Fifth Lake especially.

2. I saw a lot of people on the trail, especially on the way up to First Lake, but really all over, with the exception of the trail from Black Lake to the trail junction. I saw at least 5 groups of about 5 people, and lots of individuals. Maybe just a busy weekend? All nice people though.
camp.jpg
cienega-mirth.jpg
first-lake.jpg
second-lake.jpg
first-second-lakes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Big Pine Creek N Fork, 26 August 2016

Post by wildhiker »

Nice photos. We did a similar loop as yours as a day hike last summer mid-August. No running for us, but a lovely hike. We also saw a lot of hikers last summer - mostly day hikers like us.
-Phil