Hetch Hetchy/Vernon Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hetch Hetchy/Vernon Loop

Post by AlmostThere »

Merced Lake? Your chances of getting a permit starting at Happy Isles are pretty darn low. They're no doubt all reserved and the walk ins will vanish in the first few people in line. If you cannot be there the day BEFORE you want to start at 11 am (earlier than that actually -- there will be a long line of hopefuls like you already there) you are not going to get that trailhead. All the backup trailheads, Glacier Point or Illilouette, or Lost Bear, are on Glacier Point Road -- those are going to be fully reserved as well and then it's the same problem.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry, but I missed the fact that you are talking about Memorial Day weekend. That makes it really tough to get a new permit. What you do have now is a permit that allows you to camp at the backpacker's campgrounds. That is an advantage and allows you to consider day-hikes. Although not ideal, worst case, if you cannot get any campsite on that middle day of your permit, there are several "dispersed" forest service camping areas just outside the park. One, on Ackerman Creek, is on the Evergreen Road, on the way to the Hetch-Hetchy Entrance. These are not campgrounds, but just places where you can pull of a dirt road and camp.

Keep an eye on the Yosemite web-site. There is only one major road into Yosemite right now due to storm damage. I am not sure you can even get to Hetch Hetchy from Yosemite Valley right now. Hopefully all gets fixed by Memorial Day. We have a really deep snowpack that has to melt, and this could cause more flooding. The "Caltrans Quick Map" is also a good source of road information, although they do not include roads within Yosemite.

Be aware that traffic in Yosemite Valley on a holiday weekend can get really jammed. If you decide to drive down to the Valley, you need a really early start to beat the traffic. You do not want to spend your holiday stuck in traffic or waiting in lines. You can get some walk-in permits at Big Oak Entrance or the Hetch Hetchy Entrance.

Where are you flying into? Are you renting a car or taking a bus?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The road between Crane Flat and the valley is under construction - they are probably aiming to get it all done before Memorial Day, however, from the pictures I've seen it's a LOT of work left to be done....

And yes, traffic will be H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E. There will be lines, miles long, because not all the entrances are open. 41 re-opened, and 140 is open, but there will be crowding not just because of the holiday but because so many people who would take 120 will be forced to go around, if that road doesn't open in time.

I have been stuck in traffic in that mile between Curry and Yosemite Village (aka Half Dome Village and Yosemite Village) for three f'ing hours before, and that was not even a holiday weekend. I really do not envy anyone who will be there MDW, definitely. Whether they backpack or not. Trails and camps and roads will all be crazy.

I am really, really, really surprised the road to Hetch Hetchy is still open -- it's narrow and long with significant drop offs, as most of the roads prone to washouts and rockfalls tend to be. I would suppose that the City and County of San Francisco jumps through hoops to keep the road open as they operate the power plant - they have a better budget than the park system for such things.
suziet_
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by suziet_ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Sorry, but I missed the fact that you are talking about Memorial Day weekend. That makes it really tough to get a new permit. What you do have now is a permit that allows you to camp at the backpacker's campgrounds. That is an advantage and allows you to consider day-hikes. Although not ideal, worst case, if you cannot get any campsite on that middle day of your permit, there are several "dispersed" forest service camping areas just outside the park. One, on Ackerman Creek, is on the Evergreen Road, on the way to the Hetch-Hetchy Entrance. These are not campgrounds, but just places where you can pull of a dirt road and camp.

Keep an eye on the Yosemite web-site. There is only one major road into Yosemite right now due to storm damage. I am not sure you can even get to Hetch Hetchy from Yosemite Valley right now. Hopefully all gets fixed by Memorial Day. We have a really deep snowpack that has to melt, and this could cause more flooding. The "Caltrans Quick Map" is also a good source of road information, although they do not include roads within Yosemite.

Be aware that traffic in Yosemite Valley on a holiday weekend can get really jammed. If you decide to drive down to the Valley, you need a really early start to beat the traffic. You do not want to spend your holiday stuck in traffic or waiting in lines. You can get some walk-in permits at Big Oak Entrance or the Hetch Hetchy Entrance.

Where are you flying into? Are you renting a car or taking a bus?
We are flying into San Fran and renting a car. We will be driving Thursday night to Yosemite and staying overnight in our car before starting out on Friday. A ranger I spoke to basically said it's all variable dependent. She couldn't give really any recommendations but did say that Hetch Hetchy will be the most accessible throughout the park for that time of year. I suppose we can just try it out and if all else fails turn back and camp in the backpackers campground.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

And you can bet it will be overcrowded as heck.

I would get a permit from the Groveland ranger station and take a trailhead out of Cherry Lake, instead. Same area, same scenery, you cross the border into Yosemite, Hetch Hetchy is a moderately strenuous hike from Lake Eleanor, and the Yosemite crowds will all be jamming themselves into Yosemite.
suziet_
Topix Novice

Post by suziet_ »

Not a bad idea. Bummer you cant reserve it ahead of time, but could easily wake up super early Friday morning and do so. The backup being our Yosemite permit. Is there a specific route/trail you could point me to?

I see this http://beaut-tree.net/backpacking-styx- ... ilderness/
and this http://www.firstchurchofthemasochist.co ... -main.html

Also, we have the ability to do Friday - Monday. We fly out of SF Tuesday afternoon.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I've reserved permits from them and had them put it in the night drop so we could get to the ranger station at 5 am, get the permit, and go to the trailhead.

You're going to do the same thing as in Yosemite. Hike until you run into solid snow. Lake Eleanor is a gorgeous place to camp and fish, going up to some of the higher lakes may mean postholing and wallowing around in deep drifts depending. You're not getting to Jack Main regardless of how you go. Maybe Kibbie....
suziet_
Topix Novice

Post by suziet_ »

Well, you can't reserve more than 24 hours in advance. I'll set up a reminder on my phone to call that week.
brianA
Topix Acquainted

Post by brianA »

Just called the Hetch Hetchy entrance, and one bridge at Wapama is indeed damaged. The repairs were supposed to be completed by March 31st, but as of yet they're not done. The other entrance to the backcountry from Hetch Hetchy (Laurel Lake) is also closed due to a rockslide. Repairs on that will start when the bridge repairs are done. I was hoping to get up to Rancheria next week, but it's doubtful.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The other entrance to the backcountry from Hetch Hetchy (Laurel Lake) is also closed due to a rockslide.
Road status for Hetch Hetchy is open. from 8 am - 7 pm: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org