TR: 81 Days in the Sierra w/Rogue Photonic 7/1-9/19/16

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: 81 Days in the Sierra w/Rogue Photonic 7/1-9/19/16

Post by alpinemike »

Day 63- Pioneer Basin to Big McGee Lake
Today we went over Crocker Col & climbed Mt. Crocker. Crocker Col was much easier than anticipated. It wasn't nearly as loose or steep as it had looked. Crocker had a nice Class 3 finish with some decent exposed moves that made for a fun climb. It had a very prime view of Big McGee Lake & Red Slate & Red & White Mtns. We dropped down a little ways & headed up the super easy slope of Hopkins Pass. We had an epic view of all the multicolored rock at the top. Down the pass we went amid a full on easy trail, which was very interesting to come across in the middle of cross country terrain. I am a big sucker for multicolored rock so I could hardly control my excitement... oohing and awwwing at all the lovely rocks. At the bottom we drank out of a delicious spring fed white bottomed stream. I know that some people have gotten sick from water like this but we didn't and it tasted heavy in sediment and minerals but was extremely refreshing. Honestly, some of the finest water I have ever tasted. Big McGee Lake was quite pretty with Red & White rising above. We both slept out that night amid some wind & a beautiful clear sky. We had not been able to enjoy sleeping out much because of not only mosquito season but also the fact that we camped in the same location for multiple nights many many times this trip. This was a nice treat.
DSC_2451.jpg
Mt Crocker.jpg
DSC_2471.jpg
DSC_2475.jpg
Big McGee Lake.jpg
Red & White Mtn.jpg
DSC_2486.jpg
DSC_2488.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpinemike on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Speechless - of course. Is there a way to get to Hopkins creek from Mt Hopkins - looks like you can descend NW. Is Crocker Col the notch just below S-SE?
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Yes it looked very doable and mostly sandy to descend northwest from the summit of Hopkins. Crocker Col is the notch just below Mt. Crocker to the South/Southeast yes.
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Woah... Week 10! 10 weeks in the Sierra is a dream come true. Continuing where we left off we headed back to VVR soon enough. We then climbed several peaks in Yosemite and at the end of the week we met up with our friends Larry and Derek in Bishop and headed up towards Bishop Pass.

Day 64- Big McGee Lake to Bighorn Lake
Today we made it to Bighorn Lake. We first made it up McGee Pass amid beautiful red slates that I couldn’t get enough of. I was so excited about the rock that I let out shouts of joy... I know some odd behavior but what can I say I was really into them. The pass was crested super easily so I decided to head up Red Slate Mtn. A use trail was easily followed the entire way amid a strong cold wind. I reached the top very fast and marveled at the epic views. To the North all the way to Mt. Dana & to the South past Goddard. And of course I had the incredible multicolored view of the Dorothy Lake and Mt. Baldwin area. Definitely a view I'll never forget... the colors were just so unexpected one would think that they were out of painters palette and mythical. I descended after a while and we lunched at the pass amid a wind break. We descended a ways & traversed towards Tully Lake. We soon started our climb up Bighorn Pass. A super easy straightforward pass with a nice view to the South & North. We decided that Rosy Finch really didn’t have any camping so went across the ridge to Bighorn Lake. It was an annoyingly steep descent with slabs and some downclimbs, but eventually we made the shore of the lake. We found lumpy grassy camping on the peninsula. Naturally, it would have to make do. Again, it was getting cold & windy as the trough was blowing through. Some clouds rolled in, but still not much of a sunset for us. The night grew annoyingly cold. At least we were happy that it wasn't going to snow.
DSC_2492.jpg
Little McGee Lake3.jpg
McGee Pass Trail.jpg
DSC_2505.jpg
DSC_2510.jpg
DSC_2512.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

DSC_2513.jpg
DSC_2521.jpg
Red Slate Mtn.jpg
DSC_2529.jpg
DSC_2534.jpg
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 65- Climb Peak 12,238 and out to VVR
Today we summited the unnamed peak. The previous day we scouted a decent route up the ridgeline. We went around the lake and headed towards Rohn Pass, but cut across to the ridge & dropped onto Bighorn. From there we followed a ramp to the North ridge and gained the summit from there. The summit had a really epic view of Red & White along with the Laurel Creek Drainage & the Mono Divide. We knew that it was Saturday, which meant BBQ at VVR. As we were descending the peak we both got a little hurt (probably took a small fall or just twisted our foot wrong) so we took it as a sign to haul our buts to VVR that day!! Down down down we went after packing up camp. Clouds were building fast, but not of a threatening nature. Soon the sky was gray & still very cold. We descended to Mott Lake quick enough, which was a really pleasant area. From there we picked up the trail to Pocket Meadow. At that point we headed down via the JMT. Faster & faster we descended, since we figured the last ferry was 4:45 P.M. We somehow made it there about 10 min prior. Of course, there were tons of people already waiting and we waited for quite a while. It had just hit us that it was Labor Day weekend, which meant there would be a ton of people at VVR. We hoped we would get there in time before they ran out. Several boats came & went picking people up, along with a docking incident where one of the guys almost tore the whole dock off… good times. Finally Jeff (one of the captains) had 1 spot, so I got on & Rogue was left behind till the next boat. The way across was cold & windy. Finally we made it to the other side of the lake at VVR, but I still had to walk to the trucks at the TH. I said hi to Jordan, who unfortunately had a cold. I quickly ran up the road to get my truck and came back. Not long after fortunately Rogue showed up. Then we had an epic dinner… the BBQ meatloaf was incredible. I asked Chris about our pie and he said he hadt it, but since we were so stuffed we skipped it till the next day. After that ridiculously satisfying dinner I drove up to get Rogue’s truck. We enjoyed a fine evening by the fire that night & slept in our trucks amid a very cold night.
Peak 12,238 2.jpg
Peak 12,238.jpg
DSC_2553.jpg
Mott Lake.jpg
DSC_2560.jpg
IMG_4216.jpg
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 66- Layover
Today we took care of the usual errands of showering, laundry, and sorting our food. It was a cool day even in the sun. I even got several free beers the night before and today. We met tons of great people & really had a nice VVR stay. Lunch was great with a VVR Burger & fries but dinner really was something. They ran out of ribs, which is what we both wanted so we had to get steak. This really wouldn't have been a big deal if the following didn't happen. Of course not only did we not get our food for ages… long after most people got their food, but my steak was also under-cooked so I had to send it back. And on top of that both of our steaks were so much smaller than what everyone else got since by the time we got our food they had run out of any decently sized pieces. At least when we got our pie it was totally on the house which helped soften the blow from a more disappointing dinner. We weren’t too disappointed after that. Our last VVR fire was splendid & we slept amid a very cold 26OF night.

Day 67- VVR to Saddlebag Lake TH]
This morning we packed everything up and Rogue got breakfast while I scrounged some bars with an apple Danish. We said our goodbyes to Jordan & I said I’d send her some music when I get back. Just as I got out of VVR I stopped for 2 hikers hitchhiking their way out. One lady was sick with pneumonia and the other guy knew her cousin & they were to get picked up in Shaver. I took the lady, while Rogue took the guy. We drove them to Shaver Lake and they graciously bought us some burritos for lunch there. Very nice ride down chatting about everything. Lots of people on the road coming out so we didn’t go too fast. After Shaver Rogue got gas in Friant. I actually didn’t get any so we said we’d meet up at Glacier Point turnoff. I took the wrong road for a ways and added like 15 miles or so. Got gas on 41 & headed into Yosemite. Lots of slow drivers that made the drive a little more irritating, but we made it nonetheless. Rogue was at the turnoff and we agreed it was too late, so we pressed on. Drove down into the valley with wonderful views & then up to Crane Flat. We stopped at Tenaya Lake & I finally got some photos from the lake. I had never stopped there before, which was quite surprising even to me. We then stopped at the TM store where Rogue got chili, cheese, beans, tortillas, and chips. I got some chips, since I still had plenty of food. We decided to try and camp along Saddlebag Lake road, so we headed up there but found it was best right at the top in the TH parking area. Just as we got there I had to jump a car right next to mine…I guess they left the key in. After they left we set up and had a glorious meal. We ate inside of Rogue's truck and used his tool box as a table while we sat on the sides. It worked out really well and would have been a comedic sight for anyone that looked at us. I had some delicious stroganoff w/tuna, which I know sounds like a ridiculous combination but it's quite good and I've done it since. Rogue had his chili bean-cheese burritos. And of course we had our glorious pie along with the leftover bourbon & beer I had. Well I had the beer and bourbon since Rogue doesn't drink so I guess more for myself.. haha. The night was cold but warmer than at VVR… finally.
Tenaya Lake.jpg
Day 68- Climb Dana & Gibbs
Today was a long one as we climbed both Dana & Gibbs. We killed the climb up Dana as we got there before lunch & it was well over 3000 FT of climbing. The view was epic & we enjoyed service up there. Unfortunately the forecast showed a major cool down and snow showers by the following Tuesday & into that week. Who knows what exactly would happen since it was about a week away. Several parties made the summit while we were there… our first peak with people since Bear Creek Spire. That's really something.. considering we had been climbing for 2 months and never ran into anyone while hiking the almost 40 peaks we had done in those 2 months! From Dana we traversed to Gibbs which took a little while. Gibbs had almost as nice a view and it was my 40th peak of the summer! From there we went down the long North ridge amid some shitty rock & eventually got down towards the bottom. We cut towards a trail I thought went to Dana Meadows but ended up hitting the Mono Pass TH. We had to walk back to the pass… over a mile & a quarter and 300 FT uphill. By the time we got back to camp it was practically dark and dinner was very much needed. That night was even warmer, so we knew the weather was finally getting warmer & finally less windy.
Mt Dana3.jpg
Mt Dana.jpg
DSC_2580.jpg
Mt Gibbs.jpg
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 69- Climb Cathedral Peak & Drive to South Lake TH
We had an extra day since we didn’t get Izaak Walton, so I convinced Rogue to do Cathedral Peak. I drove up to TM and we headed up the JMT to the Cathedral Lakes. On the trail we found a phone that was locked and we gave it to the visitor center on our way out. We bailed off the trail and headed up the slabs till we reached the ridge. From there we did a few technical moves and met climbers rappelling their way down. We continued up & changed into our climbing shoes below the summit. Then we headed up the cracks. They were fairly easy and fun. A 5.2 15 ft wall & you were on top. The view was truly magnificent with all of Yosemite including Half Dome, Clouds Rest, the Clark Range, and so much more spread out. Some climbers including a free soloer came up as we were on the summit. Soon we went down which was a bit harder but still straightforward. We had lunch where we changed shoes. From there we cruised back to my truck in no time. Stopped at Tioga Pass and we said we’d meet up at the Taco Bell in Bishop. The drive there went by quick and before long both Larry & Derek pulled up beside us. Larry was coming in for 2 nights to climb Goode & Agassiz. Rogue and I got our permit since we were right across the street from the station. The ranger was ridiculously comical and a total trip. Anyways from there we found the laundromat that had showers. We put our clothes in and took a shower. From there we went to K-Mart & Vons and got what we needed. We then went to eat at Amigo’s, our favorite Mexican restaurant. Everything was glorious no doubt… the chips & salsa and the burritos. We were fully fed when we headed up to TH. We got to the TH late and sorted through stuff. Larry, Derek, and I got our drink on a bit. It wasn’t till after 10 that we all went to sleep.
DSC_2604.jpg
DSC_2605.jpg
DSC_2606.jpg
DSC_2625.jpg
Cathedral Peak3.jpg
Cathedral Peak4.jpg
DSC_2632.jpg
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Day 70- South Lake TH to Bishop Lake
The night was much warmer and we finally could tell that the cold & wind were gone for a while. We ate breakfast there and then headed up the trail to Bishop Lake. Larry of course had his usual heavy ass camping gear & blue jeans with a flannel shirt. Always a trip...that Larry. Rogue & I kept a great pace and we made Bishop Lake before lunch. It was finally nice not suffering over Bishop Pass with 14 days of food. Rogue & I decided to lay out while the guys set up their tents. It wasn’t long till we were heading up Mt. Goode. The first part was steep grassy ramps and then some rock, but soon we had to climb the dreaded sand. It was brutally long and Larry by the time we got to some rocks was pretty done. Then, he started freaking out a bit over basic talus/boulders. Anyways after a bit of Class 3 we were on the summit with a terrific albeit hazy view to the South & West. The summit block was flat but a detached pinnacle overhung the side and made for epic photos. It took Larry quite a while before he actually climbed the last 2 feet to be on the summit block. I guess he was feeling uneasy about the altitude. We spent a good deal of time up there, but by 3 something we started to head down. Skiing down the sand was fast and fun. Forgot to mention my right knee started to hurt a little 2 days before so I’m sure my body is telling me it really wants to go home. Yeah I think after 70 days of being out here that's at least somewhat natural! Anyways, Derek, Larry, & I got down and took a couple shots of vodka while we waited a bit for Rogue. Soon we were all back at camp about to eat dinner. There was some ******** going on with Larry’s stove so he used Derek’s. That’s when Larry was all like… "I’m going home tomorrow & I can’t do Agassiz". We convinced him to stay & Derek gave him his stove for the following day, since he could use one of ours. General loud drunkenness & stoniness ensued for the next couple hours. Lots of ranting about govt. & politics… which was just lovely. In the middle of the night is when Larry had his incident. I was awoken to him yelling that he’s lost & doesn’t know where he is & that he can’t see. The moon had more or less set but it was about midnight and it was still plenty bright. Eventually he stumbled to me and kept yelling he couldn’t see, but I calmed his ass down & got him to walk the 20 or so feet back to his tent. Then he couldn’t find his light and he literally started crying about it. A comedic event like out of a move that was just too funny to witness. Larry really made this section memorable in the most hilarious way possible. We would talk about this even for several days. It's hard to imagine how funny it truly was unless you were there and thus my apologies for not being able to provide that kind of humor... you'd have to go backpacking with Larry to know what it's all about.
Mt Goode.jpg
Well this concludes Week 10! Only one more full week left!
Alpine Mike-

alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Here we go! Week 11... our last final week! Will we sucessfully climb both Mt. Humphrey's and North Palisade... read to find out.

Day 71- Bishop Lake to Barrett Lakes
Today we climbed Bishop Pass quickly & then Agassiz. Asking Larry about last night he was definitely laughing too at how totally faded he must have been. Rogue heard parts of it & Derek slept through the whole thing. I was the only one who got to witness the hilarity that ensued. The climb up Agassiz was long but easy & Rogue made it first. Derek was quite hungover since the previous night plenty of vodka was drank. Larry was freaking out half the time up the slope but of course made it, but never stood on the actual summit. The register had the lid missing so lots of paper was wet. The view was epic though looking down onto the Palisade Glacier. We descended quickly & said bye to Larry. From there we kept a high route all the way to Thunderbolt Pass. Just as we started to go around the lake some guy approached us and asked if he could have a word with us. Apparently we were too loud for him descending Agassiz. “The wilderness needs to be quiet.” This was what he yelled at us. Naturally we were all taken aback since no one has ever said that we were too loud. We were chatting and having to yell every now and then that a rock was falling while on our descent but we certainly weren't obnoxious. So that guy clearly had a bug up his ass and just wanted to let everyone know what he wanted out of his experience in the mountains. And I'm sorry to tell you.. but being so close to an extremely popular trail like the Bishop Pass trail does not constiute being in a true wilderness. It might be so designated by the government but it sure as hell isn't anything like being 2+ miles away from any trail. We said okay to him and went on our way. We climbed over Thunderbolt pass which was pretty straightforward. After that we got to camp pretty easily, with no problems. Lots of people set up around that side of Thunderbolt who were probably going to climb North Pal, Thunderbolt, and Starlight. From what we saw they were all climbers. We set up in the exact same spot that Rogue and I had camped at the previous year. Rogue had to set up a little further down since we had 3 tents. This time though we didn't expect any crazy thunderstorms. We all awaited the big day to climb the 4th highest mountain in the state the following day.
DSC_2650.jpg
DSC_2655.jpg
DSC_2658.jpg
Mt Agassiz.jpg
DSC_2668.jpg
Alpine Mike-