High Sierra Trail - Hamilton Lakes Out & Back - Campsites

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fairbanks142
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

High Sierra Trail - Hamilton Lakes Out & Back - Campsites

Post by Fairbanks142 »

We're doing a 3-day, 2-night trip from Crescent Meadow up to Hamilton Lakes and back, in September on a Sunday/Monday/Tuesday. I'd appreciate any insight from this forum on experiences with the campsites along this route, any posts that you can point me to, etc. Nine Mile Creek, Buck Canyon, Lone Pine Creek, etc. -- any recommendations on the best campsites to consider? Thanks!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Trail - Hamilton Lakes Out & Back - Campsite

Post by AlmostThere »

You'll end up in designated sites. Not much else on that route. You'll find the better ones at Panther Creek -- Nine Mile looked slope-y, and Buck Creek has a bear box in a clearing in the scrubby brush. Stopping at Bearpaw puts you in the backpacker camp - there are pit toilets and faucets and bear boxes. Hamilton has lockers and designated sites and a toilet as well.

Careful not to let the deer eat your clothes, or the squirrels in the bear lockers.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

There is a site at Lone Pine Creek if that interests you. I described it in my writeup of the High Sierra Trail: "The campsite is in the low bushes pretty close to the trail between the bridge over Lone Pine Creek and the junction with the trail that goes up to Elizabeth Pass. There is no water directly at the campsite and Lone Pine Creek isn’t accessible there, but up the valley a bit on the trail towards Elizabeth Pass, there are several streams that flow right across the trail. We had no trouble getting water here, even though it was August of a dry year." There's a marked up photo on my blog that might help you find it.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Not sure of the name of the creek, but it is forked creek a mile west of Buck Creek. I cannot recall which fork, but I think the west one, there are two flat campsites 20-30 feet above the trail. Buck Creek is really great to just sit in the cool pools. I actually "cowboy camped" on a flat rock below the Buck Creek bridge. There are many sites at Mehrten that are a considerable distance (100 feet?) above the trail. My one stay at Bearpaw was terrible. I would never camp there again. There are a few very tight spots south of the trail just after you cross the creek from Hamilton Lake.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

I have camped at Mehrten, Nine Mile, Buck Creek, and Bearpaw. Of those I liked Buck Creek the best. I especially liked walking up the drainage at Buck Creek and enjoying the surroundings. Mehrten was pretty crowded when I was there. Nine mile is OK, we found reasonably level spots for four tents. Bearpaw is usually quite crowded.

That is a very popular route, so if you are getting there late in the day any one of those areas may already be filled up.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I got off to a late start (a little after 5) on my hike out of Crescent Meadows last August and didn't even make it to Mehrten Creek. I still found a flat spot big enough for my one man tarp tent, and probably big enough for a 2 man freestanding tent, about 100 feet down hill from the trail a little less rhan 1 mile from Mehrten Creek. Looked like many camping locations between there and Bearpaw. Though I didn't stay there, Bearpaw itself didn't look all that great to me, but that might have just been my getting away from crowds greater than 5 people frame of mind. Middle Hamilton Lake, Precipice Lake, and the view down from Kaweah Gap were beautiful with many camp sites at each location or nearby (Kaweah Gap).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I have camped at Mehrten, Nine Mile, Buck Creek, and Bearpaw. Of those I liked Buck Creek the best.
:thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Finding a flat spot, with water, before you get to Mehrten Creek can be difficult later season. The source of those side-streams before Mehrten Creek are south facing small upper drainages that dry up quickly. If you go late August or September, it will not matter that it was a high snow year. Two years ago I went in just after major rains and all little creeks were running. A week later, coming out, they had mostly dried up. I made the mistake of getting to Mehrten (on the exit) and thought it was too crowded, so decided to continue. I never found a site with water so walked out all the way (making for a 21 mile day from Nine Lakes Basin in 11 hours. It is better assume there will not be water between Crescent Meadow and Mehrten Creek. On the way out, at least pick up enough water at Mehrten Creek to dry camp if you have to.

By the way, there is Forest Service land west of Lodgepole, where free dispersed camping is allowed.

Every time I have gone in Crescent Meadow, I wished I had made time to spend at least half a day before or after the trip to wander around in the Giant Forest. Some day I am going to make a point of doing that!

Also, for a change of trail, rather than in-and-out, you can also access the trail near Mehrten Creek from Wolverton. There is free bus service between Crescend Meadow and Mehrten (although you have to change busses). If you go in from Wolverton, there is good camping not too far in. This trailhead is better if you must start late.
emcd661
Topix Novice

Post by emcd661 »

Nine Mile looked slope-y
9-mile isn't too bad in regard to slope. It has a bear box and there is a large pool down at the creek that is pretty nice too.

Buck Creek is awesome as well.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Took the wife to bear paw HSC last labor day weekend we decided to do a loop over Panther gap to Mahrter Meadow, Bear paw HSC, Tamarack Lake and out through Crescent Meadow. We stayed at Marhten Meadow the first night all alone except for a group of deer. The creek was low, but plenty of water and this year should be significantly better. Once we hit the HST, things got very crowded. Bear Paw camp ground was completely full with just a spigot or two for water. We made a side trip to Hamilton Lake on the way to Tamarack and while beautiful. it was also very crowded. On the way out, I couldn't imagine camping at any of the creeks except for Buck Creek. I am not a social Hiker, so staying at either Bear Paw or Hamilton would have been brutal. Just know you will have lots of company.