Josephine Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Josephine Lake

Post by cslaght »

sekihiker wrote:That is a cool variation that I've taken a couple of times. To me, the sandy sections are like wearing a hair shirt. I guess it's because they seem to slow the pace. The country is scenic, though. Marvin Pass gets you to some scenic places in a hurry.
Couldn't agree more, but it is nice and flat for a bit where you can have a steady pace with little effort.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
Optimus-00
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Josephine Lake

Post by Optimus-00 »

I've been to Josephine three times, twice from Deadman over to Cloud, and once going west. A lovely and memorable place, and route. Here's my best tracing of the route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37170547

It is steep either way you go. My best advice for the route between Cloud and Josephine is stick to the trees as long as you can (going down), or get into the trees as soon as you can (going up). Stay OUT of the water course from Josephine unless you're at the bottom of the slabs, above the willows. The lower section of the west side is miserable with brush, but ultimately passable.