Spring 2017 Backpacking Cautionary Thread

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Spring 2017 Backpacking Cautionary Thread

Post by AlmostThere »

I think that the real advantage that the experienced (by which I mean more than once-in-a-while weekends here and there, in fair weather, kinds of backpackers) have over the inexperienced is in the way trips are approached. I persist in taking the uninitiated and aware who are thankful, the uninitiated and arrogant who never come back, the experienced and not quite lined up with me (I hold firm in matters of food storage and not heading into storms, this too has gotten me the stink eye from the peakbagger who has braved the lightning and won), and the minority of experienced friends and fishing buddies.

It's snowing in Northern California this weekend. Again. The group consciousness of the folks on the trail will likely be compelled to mush onward despite the weather and the rest of it. This says something to experienced folks that it does not say to inexperienced, I think. I look at it and sigh with a heavy heart because people should not have to suffer for this kind of thing, and they don't think they will, and another crop of books will be written and another crop of inexperienced enthusiastic people will be cheered up the PCT by ignorant people.

I hope that people who read the thread aren't thinking we're elitists (that was a label we obtained on another forum), or old people trying to chase them off the lawn, or killjoys. One of the biggest problems with group dynamics is the norm -- it's set early on in the group. I've learned to hold forth a certain way at the outset of things I organize to drive away the kinds of people I don't want along, not because they don't need to learn, but because the ones who are open to learning don't need their influence. He who has ears, let him hear -- not the cheerleaders, but the realists, the ones that have information and not the ones who have a "sense of adventure" that makes them completely deaf to reality.

The reality is, it will suck big time, if you cheer someone into disaster. Don't let someone talk you out of saying something if the group leader is making a decision and your gut says something's wrong. In a year like this that too is a problem -- there are thousands of meetup groups run by people of dubious experience level. Anyone can start a group and put themselves out there as an expert. I almost wish I could report some of them to someone. No one to call them in to....
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

the only real piece of advice I can provide is be prepared to turn back
be prepared AND be willing.

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_VrFV5r8cs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

AlmostThere wrote:PCT hiker suffering continues.
When I got into the water on the upstream side of the river it instantly started to suck me in under. I was holding on to the branch stubs while being sucked under. My pack was too heavy and I was not able to pull myself up. I was drowning as water kept rushing over my face. I kept trying to pull myself up but no luck. I had two options, let go of the log or drown. I let go...

This hydraulic phenomenon is the reason why some advocate against using a rope for water crossings. The same exact situation arises where your body actually acts as a foil (sort of like an upside down airplane wing) that drives you deeper. You can't get your head above water to get a breath, yet instinct dictates that you can't let go of the lifeline.

I guess the debate about rope vs no rope is similar to ice axe tether vs no tether. Either way is dangerous, so it comes down to which punishment do you prefer: pan or fire?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If you're thinking you need a rope, and you're not with other people, that's saying you shouldn't cross the thing at all.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Seems even the bears are having problems. That should say something.

EDIT: The bear made it out seemingly safely, but the videographer stopped filming before then.

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="618" height="348" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tJGGy3QJDL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
Last edited by Jimr on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is a pretty good write up on stream crossings. :)
Mountain Stream Crossings:

Operations conducted in mountainous terrain may often require the crossing of swift flowing rivers or streams. Such crossings should not be taken lightly. The force of the flowing water may be extremely great and is most often underestimated. All rivers and streams are obstacles to movement. They should be treated as danger areas and avoided whenever possible. When rivers or streams must be crossed, there are a variety of techniques the small-unit leader may choose from, depending upon the type of stream, its width, speed of the current, and depth of the water.

There are limits on the safe use of these techniques. Not all mountain rivers or streams will be fordable with these techniques. If a water obstacle is too wide, swift, or deep, an alternate route should be used, or the crossing will require major bridging by engineers. It may require the use of rafts or boats. Reconnaissance of questionable crossing sites is essential. This chapter covers the techniques for crossing mountain streams that have a depth generally not exceeding waist deep.

Planning & Preparation:

Reconnaissance

Reconnaissance of the route (map, photo, and or aerial) may not always reveal that a water obstacle exists. In a swamp, for example, unfordable sloughs may not show on the map, and they may be concealed from aerial observation by a canopy of vegetation. Whenever it is possible that a unit will be required to cross a water obstacle, its commander must plan some type of crossing capability.

a. Site selection is extremely important once you determine that you must make a crossing (Figure 9-1). Look for a high place from which you can get a good view of the obstacle and possible crossing sites. A distant view, perhaps from a ridge, is sometimes better than a hundred close views from a riverbank. Site selection must be made before the arrival of the main body.

b. A dry crossing on fallen timber or log jams is preferable to attempting a wet crossing. Depending upon the time of year, the closer you are to the source, or headwaters, the better your chances are of finding a natural snow or ice bridge for crossing. If a dry crossing is unavailable, the following considerations should be made:

(1) The time of day the crossing can be an important factor. Although early morning is generally best bcause the water level is normally lower during this period, recent weather is a big factor; there may have been havy rain in the last eight hours. As glaciers, snow, or ice melt during the day, the rivers rise, reaching their mximum height between mid afternoon and late evening, depending on the distance from the source. Crossigs, if made during the early morning, will also allow clothing to dry more quickly during the heat of the day.

(2) A crossing point should normally be chosen at the widest, and thus shallowest, point of the river or stream. Sharp bends in the river should be avoided since the water is likely to be deep and have a strong current on the outside of the bend. Crossings will be easiest on a smooth, firm bottom. Large rocks and boulders provide poor footing and cause a great deal of turbulence in the water.

(3) Many mountain streams, especially those which are fed by glacier run-off, contain sections with numerous channels. It is often easier to select a route through these braided sections rather than trying to cross one main channel. A drawback to crossing these braided channels, however, is the greater distance to the far bank may increase exposure time and often the sand and gravel bars between the channels will offer little cover or concealment, if any.

(4) The crossing site should have low enough banks on the near and far side to allow a man carrying equipment to enter and exit the stream with relative ease. If a handline or rope bridge is to be constructed, the crossing site should have suitable anchors on the near and far bank, along with safe loading and unloading areas. Natural anchors are not a necessity, however the time required to find a site with solid natural anchors will probably be less than the time required to construct artificial anchors. In some areas, above the tree line for example, artificial anchors may have to be constructed. Deadman anchors buried in the ground, or under a large pile of boulders work well.

(5) Log jams and other large obstructions present their own hazards. Logs floating downstream will generally get hung up in shallower sections creating the jam. Once a log jam is formed, however, the water forced to flow around it will erode the stream bottom. Eventually deep drop-offs or holes may develop, especially around the sides and off the downstream end of the log jam. A log jam that totally bridges a section of the stream may be the best way to cross. A wet crossing in the vicinity of a log jam should be performed a good distance below or above it. Some things to consider when crossing near log jams are:
Cross well to the downstream side when possible.
Keep a sharp lookout for floating timber that could knock you off your feet.
If you must cross on the upstream side, stay well upstream from the log jam. If a person is swept off his feet and caught in the debris of the jam, he could easily drown. A handline will greatly increase safety here.

(6) When possible, select a crossing site that has enough natural protection on the near and far banks so that security teams may be placed out and enough cover and concealment is available for the size of the element making the crossing. When cover and concealment is minimal, as in the higher alpine zones, the crossings must be conducted as efficiently as possible to minimize exposure to enemy observation.

Preparation of Troops and Equipment:

Prepare men and equipment for a crossing as far in advance as feasible. Final preparation should be completed in a security perimeter on the near side just before crossing. Preparation includes the following.

a. Waterproof water-sensitive items. Wrap radios, binoculars, SOI, papers, maps and any extra clothing in waterproof bags (trash bags also work well), if available. These bags also provide additional buoyancy in case of a fall.

b. Trousers are unbloused and shirts are pulled out of the trousers. All pockets are buttoned. This allows water to escape through the clothing. Otherwise the clothing would fill up and retain water, which would weigh the body down. This is especially critical if an individual must swim to shore. Depending on the circumstances of the crossing (for example, tactical situation, temperature of the air and water), the crossing can be made in minimal clothing so that dry clothing is available after the crossing. Boots should be worn to protect feet from rocks; however, socks and inner soles should be removed. On the far side, the boots can be drained and dry socks replaced.

c. Load-carrying equipment harness and load-bearing vest (LBV) is unbuckled and worn loosely. It is extremely difficult to remove a buckled harness in the water in an emergency.

d. Helmets are normally removed and placed in the rucksack in slow moving streams with sandy or gravel bottoms. If you have to resort to swimming it is easier done without the helmet. However, when crossing swift flowing streams, especially those with large rocks and other debris, the risk of head injury if a person slips is high. In this case the helmet should be worn with the chinstrap fastened.

e. The rucksack should be worn well up on the shoulders and snug enough so it does not flop around and cause you to lose your balance. The waist strap MUST be unbuckled so you can get rid of the pack quickly if you are swept off your feet and have to resort to swimming. If a pack has a chest strap it must also be unbuckled. Secure everything well within your pack. It is easier to find one large pack than to find several smaller items.

f. Individual weapons should be attached to the pack or slung over the shoulder.

Crossing Methods:

Individual Crossings

Whenever possible, and when the degree of experience permits, streams should be forded individually for a speedier crossing. The average soldier should be able to cross most streams with mild to moderate currents and water depths of not much more than knee deep using proper techniques.

a. The individual should generally face upstream and slightly sideways, leaning slightly into the current to help maintain balance. At times, he may choose to face more sideways as this will reduce the surface area of the body against the current, thus reducing the current's overall force on the individual.

b. The feet should be shuffled along the bottom rather than lifted, with the downstream foot normally in the lead. He should take short, deliberate steps. Lunging steps and crossing the feet result in a momentary loss of balance and greatly increase the chance of a slip.

c. The individual should normally cross at a slight downstream angle so as not to fight the current. There is normally less chance of a slip when stepping off with the current as opposed to stepping off against the current.

d. The individual must constantly feel for obstacles, holes and drop-offs with the lead foot and adjust his route accordingly. If an obstacle is encountered, the feet should be placed on the upstream side of it where the turbulence is less severe and the water normally shallower.

e. To increase balance, and if available, a long ice ax, sturdy tree limb, or other staff can be used to give the individual a third point of contact (Figure 9-2). The staff should be used on the upstream side of the individual and slightly leaned upon for support. The staff should be moved first, then the feet shuffled forward to it. This allows two points of contact to be maintained with the streambed at all times. The individual still moves at a downstream angle with the downstream foot in the lead.

Team Crossing

When the water level begins to reach thigh deep, or anytime the current is too swift for personnel to safely perform an individual crossing, a team crossing may be used. For chain crossing, two or more individuals cross arms with each other and lock their hands in front of themselves (Figure 9-3). The line formed faces the far bank. The largest individual should be on the upstream end of the line to break the current for the group. The line formed will then move across the stream using the same principles as for individual crossings, but with the added support of each other. The line should cross parallel to the direction of the current. The team still moves at a slight downstream angle, stepping off with the downstream foot in the lead.

When the water level begins to reach waist deep or the current is too swift for even a team crossing, the chosen site must be closely examined. The stream at this point may be impassable. Many times though, a crossing site which may be unsafe for individual or team crossings can be made safe with the installation of a handline or rope bridge. Crossing on a handline will still require each individual to enter the water and get wet. If a one-rope bridge can be constructed, it may require only a couple of individuals to enter the water. Deciding whether to install a handline or a rope bridge will depend on the anchors available, height of the anchors above the water, and the distance from the near and far anchors. The maximum distance a one-rope bridge is capable of spanning is approximately 1/2 to 2/3 the length of the rope in use.

a. Establishing the Far Anchor. Whether a handline or rope bridge is to be installed, someone must cross the stream with one end of the rope and anchor it on the far side. This duty should be performed by the most capable and strongest swimmer in the party. The swimmer should be belayed across for his own safety. The belay position should be placed as far above the crossing as possible. In the event that the current is too strong for the individual, he will pendulum back to the near bank. Rescuers should be poised on the near bank at points where the individual will pendulum back, should he fail to reach the far bank. The initial crossing site should be free of obstacles that would snag the rope and prevent the pendulum back to the bank for an easy recovery.

(1) The individual may attach the belay rope to his seat harness or a swami belt with a carabiner. He should NEVER tie directly into the rope when being belayed for a stream crossing. If the swimmer should be swept away and become tangled, he must be able to release himself quickly from the rope and swim to shore as best he can. The individual may also choose to tie a fixed loop into the end of the belay rope and hang on to it, where he can immediately release it in an emergency.

(2) Anytime a crossing site must be used where the swimmer may encounter problems getting to the far bank, he should have on a life vest or other personal flotation device (PFD). If the swimmer must release the rope at any time, he will have to rely on his own water survival skills and swimming ability to get to shore. A PFD will greatly increase his own personal safety. A PFD may also be used by the last man across, as he will release the rope from the anchor and be belayed across as the first man

b. Installation of a Handline. If it is possible to use a rope high enough above the water to enable soldiers to perform a dry crossing, then a rope bridge should be installed as such. If this is impossible, and the rope must be installed to assist in a wet crossing, then it should be installed as a handline (Figure 9-4).

(1) The far anchor should be downstream from the near anchor so that the rope will run at an angle downstream from the near anchor, approximately thirty to forty-five degrees, rather than straight across the stream. Here again, it is easier to move with the current as opposed to directly across or against it.

(2) The rope may be anchored immediately on the far bank, pulled tight, and anchored on the near bank, or it may be installed with a transport tightening system if a tighter rope is required.

(3) Crossing will always be performed on the downstream side of the handline, shuffling the feet with the downstream foot in the lead.

(4) A second climbing rope is used as a belay (Figure 9-5). One end of the belay rope will be on the near bank and the other end on the far bank. It should be sent across with the strong-swimmer. An appropriate knot is tied into the middle of the belay rope to form two fixed loops with each loop being approximately 6 inches long. One loop is connected to the handline with carabiner(s) and the individual crossing connects one loop to himself. The loops are short enough so the individual is always within arms reach of the handline should he slip and let go. The individuals are belayed from both the near and far banks. If a mishap should occur the individual can be retrieved from either shore, whichever appears easiest. The belay on the opposite shore can be released allowing the individual to pendulum to the bank. It is important that the belay rope NOT be anchored or tied to the belayer so that it may be quickly released if necessary.

(5) Under most circumstances, the handline should be crossed one person at a time. This keeps rope stretch and load on the anchors to a minimum.

(6) Rucksacks can be either carried on the back the same way as for individual crossings, or they can be attached to the handline and pulled along behind the individual.

(7) If a large amount of equipment must be moved across the stream, especially heavier weapons, such as mortars, recoilless rifles, and so on, then a site should be selected to install a rope bridge.
Safety

River and stream crossings present one of the most hazardous situations faced by the military mountaineer. The following safety procedures are minimum guidelines that should be followed when conducting a river or stream crossing.

a. All weak and nonswimmers should be identified before a crossing so that stronger swimmers may give assistance in crossing.

b. Not every river or stream can be crossed safely. It is always possible to cross at a different time or place, use a different technique, or choose another route.

c. The technique used is directly dependent upon water depth, speed of the current, stream bottom configuration, width of the stream, and individual experience.

d. The safest methods of crossing are always with the use of a handline or one-rope bridge.

e. If the installation of a handline or rope bridge becomes too difficult at a given crossing site, then that site should be considered too hazardous and another site selected.

f. A lookout should be posted 50 to 100 meters upstream to watch for any obstacles that may be carried downstream and interfere with the crossing.

g. When conducting individual crossings (those without a handline or rope bridge), lifeguards should be posted downstream with poles or ropes prepared to throw, for assistance or rescue.

h. When the unit knows a rope installation will be required for crossing, at least two life vests or other PFDs should be on hand to provide additional safety for the strong swimmer who must establish the far anchor, and the last man across who retrieves the system.
Swimming

There are times when you might be alone and have no choice but to swim across, or there may be a time that you find yourself suddenly plunged into a swift river or rapids. In either case, the following techniques could save your life.

a. Immediately jettison any equipment or clothing that restricts movement.

b. Do not try to fight the current. Maneuver towards shore in a position with the feet downstream, facing downstream, and fanning the hands alongside the body to add buoyancy and to fend off submerged rocks. Use the feet to protect the rest of the body and to fend off submerged rocks.

c. Keep the head above water to observe for obstacles and attempt to maneuver away from them.

d. Try to avoid backwater eddies and converging currents as they often contain dangerous swirls. Avoid bubbly water under falls as it has little buoyancy. Breath between the wave troughs.

e. If the shore is too difficult to reach, seek out the closest and safest spot, such as a sandbar, o get yourself out of the water as quickly as possible. Hypothermia will set in quickly in colder waters.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/moun ... -crossing/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

The ability to accept advice/criticism, or alternatively, the tendency to react defensively, is a function not only of personality type, but message transmission/reception. IOW, it's not only the student, but the teacher. If one were to outline a classic 2 variable matrix, it would produce 4 outcomes:

- good teacher/good student
- poor teacher/good student
- good teacher/poor student
- poor teacher/poor student

In essence, there's around a 50/50 chance of advice be properly delivered, listened to & acted upon. In order to improve this rate, extensive training needs to be conducted by both teachers & students. Some organizations, like the military, by necessity must get this number up to around 80%. (Mav can probably speak more directly on this.)

However, if you're in an environment that is completely voluntary, then these numbers can get pretty skewed towards under 50%. Hence, the age old advice about not giving advice: wise people don't need it, and fools don't listen. But, if someone initiates an inquiry, then by definition they are looking for guidance. The one exception to unsolicited advice is if a truly dangerous situation is present.

I've mentioned this story before: a kid had his ice axe hanging through his carabiner loop, with the axe tip directly over his groin. When I suggested it might be better to store it, he assured me the loop was there for 'quick access' ie sort of like a gun in a holster. What are you supposed to do in that kind of situation?

OTOH, I saw a person glissading with his axe side dragging. I showed him how to hold it with the adze/axe in one hand, and use the shaft as the rudder with his other hand. He immediately switched position and went on his merry way. So, I was 50/50, just like the matrix above predicts.

Ultimately, you need to be pretty zen about the situation. You can't change human nature, so you can either choose to look at the glass half empty or half full. I think my posting history here is pretty indicative of positive encouragement. My son grew to hate surfing with me, because I'm so chatty in the water. I have no problem showing a learner how to paddle, where to sit, talking to visitors, yelling someone into a wave, etc. I can get away with it without looking like a kook, because I'm simultaneously pretty aggressive about catching waves and people can sense I'm an OG.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I'm an OG.
:lol:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What are you supposed to do in that kind of situation?
Nothing, you did what you could, at least you tried, and it worked in your second example. :nod:

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

to add to your post, Mav..
[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nkdliFliJPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]

I think the boots off thing is bad..

This video is very good though:

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vfeaUXAB8y4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]