Trip Report: Over Piute Pass to Humphrey's Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report: Over Piute Pass to Humphrey's Basin

Post by Harlen »

"Wolfie is a handsome pup!" Matthew

And he is very fast, and very fierce! He'll get a mouthful of Bear's throat fur/skin and just hang on... and Bear never minds.
cropped wolfieDSCN0514.JPG
cropped b&w2DSCN0526.jpg

David, you asked about the intense sun, and it's a pertinent question for us. This trip Lizzie brought a stick of chapstick which it turned out, had no SPF qualities. She suffered the interesting symptom of swelling lips- looked like a Hollywood "lip-job" gone wrong! It was so weird looking that she would not let me take a picture of it for posterity. Went down only after two full days out of the mountains. Never again- read those labels.

Re. the eyes, I have a pair of very dark "glacier glasses" that I wear when conditions are really bright, and a second pair of wide and deep "solar shield" sunglasses which I wear early and late, and whenever the light is not too intense, because these fit over my distance glasses so much better than the others do. we are very careful with our eyes- temporary snow blindness is a dreadful experience, which I luckily have only experienced vicariously through my less careful partners. Always carry a spare pair of sunglasses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
nunatak
Topix Acquainted

Post by nunatak »

Nice trip! When we climbed Humphrey in May of maybe 2001 it was mostly bare in there. This is better!

Do you think the dogs suffer from the intense sun glare? I spend a lot of time with my dog skiing and doing early season snow travel. Sometimes I worry.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

what breed? cataracts develop later in their life. Bubba's came on at 12. Pretty sure from sun. I'm expecting the same given my past of sun exposure.
Maybe start a new thread on Dogs in the campfire area.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Harlen wrote:"This trip Lizzie brought a sick of chapstick which it turned out, had no SPF qualities. She suffered the interesting symptom of swelling lips- looked like a Hollywood "lip-job" gone wrong! It was so weird looking that she would not let me take a picture of it for posterity. Went down only after two full days out of the mountains. Never again- read those labels.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/blist ... 01-product
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matthewkphx »

Wolfie needs his own Instagram account. #justsayin
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

BTW, what's an "Instagram account?" Is there any money in it?
DSCN0425.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.