Junction Pass route and conditions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Junction Pass route and conditions

Post by acvdmlac »

Hi, I'm a Level 3 backpacker looking for information on finding the route over Junction Pass, approaching from the north/Center Basin. The High Sierra Map only describes the approach from the south/Anvil Camp. Also interested in trip reports from anyone who's gone over Junction Pass. Can't find a word on it in the Forum! I'm considering a lollipop route from Symmes Creek trailhead over Shepherd and Forester Passes and returning via Center Basin and Junction Pass...any advice much appreciated!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Junction Pass route and conditions

Post by Mike M. »

Acvdmlac, much of the old trail is still visible as you make your way up Center Basin toward Lake 11,776 (on my old 15-minute map). Once there, you'll see a track on the SW side of the lake. This becomes a well-defined trail all the way to the top of the pass. It basically leads you to the shoulder of the ridge that separates Center Basin from the basin on the Forester Pass side (to the west), then veers east up to the sandy plateau where you find Junction Pass. Great views of Williamson and Tyndall from here. Make your way SW down steep scree fields to enter the basin that the map shows ending up at The Pothole. There is no sign of a trail here; rock hop through the basin until you come to a bench and a lovely little oasis where the creek emerges from the boulders at about 11,760'.

No more boulder hopping. To the right of the creek (SW), as it tumbles down a steep hillside, you will find a track that quickly becomes a well-defined trail and takes you to flatter terrain. It's easy to lose the trail here. Head towards the pine trees at the head of the slope that leads to The Pothole; there are several water courses (above The Pothole) and some good places to camp. There used to be a huge, developed cowboy camp here, but I didn't see it last year when I was there.

Don't descend to The Pothole unless you are headed out to the Shepherd Pass trailhead. Instead, to get to Shepherd Pass, traverse southerly down the slope until you intercept the Shepherd Pass trail west of The Pothole. (You can see the Shepherd Pass trail from the good campsites.)

I have a few photos I'll post when I get the time.

Mike
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Here are a few photos of the route.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

More photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

more photos
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Photos from the south side of the pass.
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by acvdmlac »

Thank you, Mike! Great photos and very clear directions. Junction Pass sounds and looks easier than Class 2, but I imagine that the boulder hopping is what necessitates some hand work...I'll post a TR if we make it there this August, but may hold out for a lower snow year as we're not trained in self-arresting and I'm guessing that this August elevations over 12,000' will still have considerable snow. But Center Basin looks well worth the trip and having squeezed through the JMT crowd over Forester once already, I'm eager to try the old route next time in the area. Happy trails!
tombuchta2@gmail.com
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tombuchta2@gmail.com »

I am planning a trip from Center Basin to Wrights via Junction and Shepherd and would be very interested in any information on that route, particularly snow conditions and the need for microspikes, whippet etc. Thanks
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Welcome to the HST!

I would suggest you break your request into its own thread (new topic) in the Backpacking forum. And please state when your trip is planned.