Rae Lakes Fail, Looking for alternatives

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Rae Lakes Fail, Looking for alternatives

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Here is a snapshot of the log crossing over the west half of split Bubb's Creek between the swamped bridge and the King's River. I took the photo on 7/15.
DSC02658r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by webdweeb »

More updates on the SEKI trail conditions page for the UPV crossing, which tracks with itlan's post (although no mention of a log by SEKI):

8/1 - The South Fork of the Kings River in Upper Paradise is now fordable with much caution. Swift water crossing knowledge is necessary and the crossing is not recommended for children. It is now stock passable up to Woods Creek.
mursey
Topix Acquainted

Post by mursey »

Well it looks like I've managed to instigate a (pretty good) trail conditions thread in the backpacking section.

Any advice on adding 2 days to Rae Lakes? I'm thinking Reflection/Ericson or maybe Brewer or Gardiner basin? My group averages about 18miles on trail or 10 off.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

60 Lakes is always a nice side-trip off the Rae Lakes Loop. From here you can aslo go over into upper Gardnier Basin. There will be snow, but maybe the snow would be a blessing (if you are qualified to deal with snow), because getting from the pass (one mile due east of Mt. Gardnier Peak) to the north end of Lake 3477 is full of talus- eaier with firm snow. But firm snow is never a guarentee. One day in, camp at the unnamed small lake just south of the "S" in "Kings" (fantastic view- going below this lake does not add much in scenic value) and one day out, through 60 Lakes Basin and drop back to the trail. There are several old trip reports for this side-trip. From 60 Lakes you can easily re-connect with the Rae Lakes trail. See the "off-trail passes" forum for details.

East Lake and Reflection Lake are good too, if willing to deal with the stream crossing, which is just marginally feasible now, according to the SEKI trail report. You can climb Mt Brewer from East Lake, up Ouzel Creek, onto the ridge to the south, and then up the SE ridge of Brewer.

Short side-trip over to Kearsarge Lakes is also very scenic. There are good campsites at the northwest end of Lake 3321 that offer more solitude than the crowded northeast side.

Window Lake, under Window Peak is scenic, but a bear to get to. Not sure it is worth the effort unless you plan to stay up there and fish.
mursey
Topix Acquainted

Post by mursey »

Hmm. Interesting!

Good fishing at Window Peak? Any other fishing recs around there?
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted

Post by webdweeb »

Similar to mursey, I have a RLL permit (from Wood's Creek) for early September and started looking for alternatives once I heard about the UPV bridge problem. The alternative hikes we have considered (and still are considering) are: Volcanic Lakes loop (Copper Creek-Granite Pass-Volcanic lakes-Kennedy Pass-Lewis Creek), an out and back to State Lakes (also on the Copper Creek trail), a loop through the Clark Range in southern Yosemite (originating just outside the park boundary) and a North lake loop over Lamarck Col, through the Evolution Valley and Humphries Basin and returning to North Lake. Now that the RLL is back in play, we can't decide if we like one of the alternates or should stick with our original plan. I've done the Volcanic Lakes loop before (oodles of solitude and great scenery in the high country, but with a hike through the Rough Fire burn areas at the end), but neither me nor my hiking partner have done any of the other ones. The Clark Range loop and the two from Copper Creek are appealing because they are in areas that don't get many visitors, so we would likely have a lot more solitude than either the RLL or the North Lake loop. Decisions, decisions!
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jeremiahkim »

webdweeb wrote:Similar to mursey, I have a RLL permit (from Wood's Creek) for early September and started looking for alternatives once I heard about the UPV bridge problem.
In the same boat for mid-September. Encouraged by the trail reports!
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

Can someone link to the recent Rae Lakes loop trail reports? I can't seem to find them.

The NPS trail conditions page now says, "8/1 - The South Fork of the Kings River in Upper Paradise is now fordable with much caution. Swift water crossing knowledge is necessary and the crossing is not recommended for children. It is now stock passable up to Woods Creek."

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm