Hiking Solo?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JBenz
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking Solo?

Post by JBenz »

Wandering Daisy RE: Hiking partner. I recakk your posts on the Mokelumne from a few years back. Yours was one of the first that referenced the old Summit City trail into the Moke. This year my wife and I completed a 6 day (8 including the shuffle) through hike from Hwy 4 to Salt Springs. I'd like to do another next year (2018) but burned up my marriage partner credit for a while. Open to up to a four person group but have to be capable of severe terrain off trail hiking. I know many of the routes, too tough vs too glorious to ignore. Contact me via pm if interested. jbenz
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I differentiate between on-trail hiking and off-trail.
When on a trail, during the day, I prefer hiking alone. I don't like trail conversation and I enjoy being lost in my thoughts or listening to music. However, at the end of the day, I enjoy some socializing. I negotiate this with my hiking partner to make it work. Hiking alone also maximizes meeting new people; I have met many people on trails with very interesting stories, and some have become longtime friends.
When off-trail, I go into "the zone" as a form of focussed meditation. I don't listen to music, it would be an unwanted distraction. I generally prefer to be alone when off-trail, but with the right person, I can enjoy brief exchanges about which path to take, negotiating river crossings, etc. So it depends on the trip and the person. In our "push" culture I really value this outlet for no external input. Be Here Now.
Unlike the posts of others in this topic, I don't vary my risk-taking when I go when alone or with others; to me they are all the same and entail the same risks. I do carry a SPOT off-trail. I always am aware that it is my job to do whatever it takes to stay alive, at least until the green helicopter shows up, which if I am lucky will not be immediate but hopefully the next morning.
I don't understand some of the posts claiming that river crossings are safer with another person.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is a method of river crossing, used for long swift crossings, of locking arms and have the line of backpackers parallel to the river flow. The first upstream person takes the brunt of the flow, but is pushed upright by the guy behind him. The guy behind him is in the first person's eddy, so has less pressure on him. And so on down the line. This is used to cross big rivers in Alaska.

Second safety issue is just having someone to help you if you do fall in. Not that the person could likely fish you out from the middle, but they may be able to retrieve any loose gear or help you when you do swim or float to the other side (assuming that person is already on the other side). The person(s) not crossing station themselves downstream ready to help. Falling in a very cold river crossing can leave a person hypothermic. As with all cases of hypothermia, the affected person may not even realize they are in danger. Others can offer warm clothing or even warm bodies to stop the hypothermia.

Third, you can get injured in a river crossing. Depending on the injury, self administration of first aid may not be possible.

As a small person, river crossings are more difficult for me than tall, heavier fellow. I really appreciate a hand when needed. Sometimes we take a rope to set up a hand line and the bigger person crosses without a pack to set it up. My gallant longer-legged husband often carries my pack across on a rock hop.

If you are an introvert, it is better to find a companion who also is an introvert (less talking). I also find that after the first few days, when most people, including me, are overly chatty, things settle down to less talk. A person I occasionally hike with is a constant talker in need of an audience, always, day after day! However, this person is also extremely competent and when I go on really hard, technical routes, I just set different parameters for the trip- solitude and getting into my own zone is set aside for the benefit of some real help. So, life is not always ideal; truly compatible backpack partners are hard to find!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

When I worked for NOLS, "expedition behavior" was a big item that we taught. Interpersonal issues (group dynamics) more often defeat an expedition than technical issues. When a group of people spend weeks upon weeks, sometimes stuffed in small tents riding out storms, with no contact to the outside, setting some behavior rules really helps. One of the rules of thumb, was "avoid talking about yourself, politics or religion". This is not the time to unload your problems on a captive audience! Eventually, political or religious talk will divide the group. In a group, you need to intentionally give others some private time. You can use consensus for expedition decisions, but the buck has to stop at a designated leader. Sometimes you have to put aside your personal goals for the good of the expedition. And so on.. In our current "me" society, some of these skills are lacking. I still maintain that going in a group is safer, but going solo absolutely gets rid of these pesky interpersonal issues.
JBenz
Topix Acquainted

Post by JBenz »

I'm surprised. Somehow I created this stream a couple of years ago seeking a partner and am amazed at how it morphed. Again I find myself looking for a partner. I solo because I can't find people capable of hiking off trail. I've through hiked the Moke with my wife from HWY 4 to Salt Springs reservoir using a hiking pole like a blind man's staff due to eye issues. An angel of a surgeon gave me back my eye sight this year and with it, my cathedrals. While I've soled in the Moke many times, this year, with re-newed eyes, I soloed for a five day hike based out of the falls. It was my first solo in four years, and I found myself rock hopping like I was 35 (well feeling like I was 35, 20 for most people, I'm actually 70). The Moke has change since I first laying secret ducks in 1980. Those early ducks have changed into freeways to the falls from the east and to Monte's from the west. So it requires a weeks commitment to explore the center third. I've led others into it, I've attempted to lead others through it, succeeding only once. In August of 2020 I want to hike in from Salt Springs to just pass the falls, spend 3 days exploring the area between the falls and Grouse Valley Trail, and then hike back out. Any takers? Connect via PM and I'll send your my profile and we can set up a trial hike to see if we are compatible.
JB
JBenz
Topix Acquainted

Post by JBenz »

This is incredible. All I am asking is if there is anyone out there seeking a partner for wilderness terrain. By the responses I'm guessing not. Anybody interested in August 2020 contact me. I check in periodically. jbenz
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

HI J---I think you are right. Connecting with a hiking partner for a long trip off trail is a complicated business, and I think most people are a bit leery of signing up for something like that. As you know, I've done a bit of exploring (and trail work) is that area as well, and think it is lovely. But These days I pretty much hike with my wife. No offense, but she is nicer than you--better looking, too!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

JBenz wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:34 pm This is incredible. All I am asking is if there is anyone out there seeking a partner for wilderness terrain. By the responses I'm guessing not. Anybody interested in August 2020 contact me. I check in periodically. jbenz
I'm afraid our hiking styles would be different. But I'll share a ride or a beer afterwards with just about anyone. And yeah, you gotta start small. Meet folks at a group thing (like, say, a HST meetup), or go on a day hike. Graduate to 7 days in the wilderness later.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
JBenz
Topix Acquainted

Post by JBenz »

Possibly. I know my wife is the best partner I've ever had for back packing or any thing else. Enjoy your days together. As for go on a day hike and potentillay connecting for rougher terrain, I live in Napa. There are some great day hikes here. Contact me if you are interested.
JBenz
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

To J
Too bad I did not meet you 30 or40 year ago. I used to do almost all my trips cross country. I BPed about 25 days a year from 1973 to 2008. I was born in 1943