Hiking Solo?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Hiking Solo?

Post by mkbgdns »

in my 40 years backpacking, I've done about 1/3 solo. agree that as a newbie soloist, no need to push the envelope of your abilities--doing some same old-same old will be a new experience solo. big advantage to me is the ability to find your own rhythm which may change from day-to day. are you comfortable w solitude in your day-to day?
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

I used to solo off trail a lot, usually without an itinerary, deciding enroute where to go next. Haven't done so in several years, just never had the opportunity.
I was never afraid, but I was, and still am, cognizant of the risks. I found I was uber-cautious on stream crossings, rock face scrambles, et al. Avoided those with any risk, whereas I would have done them without a second thought if with someone. The solitude did not bother me. I kept busy enough in the evenings with only one person doing all the routine camp chores.
For the first time stick with popular well traveled trails and see how it goes.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

I did my first solo jaunt last month and was surprised by a couple of things:

1) Like dave54, being alone, I was extra-cautious, much more so than if I had been with one of my regular hiking partners. This risk-aversion is exemplified by my turnaround at the crossing of the stream that feeds Upper Palisade lake from Lake 11630. I had planned to cross this stream en route to Mather Pass, then return the same way a couple of days later. I watched several PCTers cross the stream, which was flowing almost waist-high on people my size, so I knew I could ford it that day. What worried me was not knowing if the stream would rise over the next couple of days. I spent about an hour scouting further upstream for a safer crossing, but to no avail, so I turned around. Had I been with a hiking partner, I'd have gone for it, figuring that we could help each other on the way back if the stream was higher, or if it was too high, we'd figure something else out. (Of course, I could've "figured something else out" on my own, too, but this prospect was several steps further in the thought process going on in my brain at that time.) After the turnaround from the stream crossing, I thought about heading up to Palisade Basin via Cirque Pass; I had traveled this stretch last year. But this year, I was sketched out by the snow cover at a location I recalled having a lot of class 3 scrambling...not difficult in dry conditions, but with snow, it looked a bit over my head. So, I turned away from this challenge, too, and simply proceeded back the way I had come from Deer Meadow.

2) I was really surprised how easy it was to talk myself out of doing things that (at least superficially) seemed to be plenty safe. For example, after my aborted try at the stream crossing (described above), I thought maybe I should head south from the junction where Palisade Creek feeds into the Middle Fork Kings River. I had never been south on the trail from this junction, and I thought that even if it was an out-and-back, I'd be seeing a region new to me. But, alas, my lazier side convinced me to bypass this new experience. I've regretted that decision every day since my return.

As for loneliness, I experienced less than I expected. Sure, I thought about my kids and what-not, but I was generally content. That being said, I kind of wish I had brought my e-reader. I had thought the 7 ounces wouldn't be worth it, but I think it would've been nice to know I had something to read if I wanted (especially the Secor book, which might've inspired me to do more than I did).
Chris B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Chris B »

Steiny,

Go for it, I'm not that good at planning ahead so often do last minute solo trips. Like other posters suggest, just don't take crazy risks, stay on trails and check your navigation more than you would do on group trip. Even if you are experienced with a map and compass, its still worth having a GPS for the backtracking feature. When in more remote areas I try to strike up a short conversation with anybody I meet, just so they will recognize you, this could be useful if SAR are looking for you.

I see you have a Spot, I don't know how long you have had it but if you plan to go solo on a regular basis the Inreach Explorer (now Garmin) is probably a better option because you can send and receive messages as well as send test messages. The interface is still rather clunky compared to a regular smart phone however you can hook it up to you phone which helps. I was told to get mine by my Wife and I have been very impressed with the coverage and functionality. Fortunately I have have not hit the SOS button yet.

Have fun.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

gregodorizzi wrote:Had I been with a hiking partner, I'd have gone for it, figuring that we could help each other on the way back
Maverick posted to the SAR Updates board about a recent rescue where a solo backpacker was injured in the middle of a creek crossing and had to wait more than a day for help (http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 37&t=16518). He had no one to help him when things went wrong. This is one of the downsides of going alone especially during a high water year like this one.
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by steiny98 »

Thanks for all the replies and words of encouragement. I think I'm going to give it a go.

Now to decide if I need to change my route or keep the planned one through bear lakes basin...
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by happycamper0313 »

rightstar76 wrote:
gregodorizzi wrote:Had I been with a hiking partner, I'd have gone for it, figuring that we could help each other on the way back
Maverick posted to the SAR Updates board about a recent rescue where a solo backpacker was injured in the middle of a creek crossing and had to wait more than a day for help (http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 37&t=16518). He had no one to help him when things went wrong. This is one of the downsides of going alone especially during a high water year like this one.

I think with all the real life examples of how dangerous the waters are this year, everybody should steer clear unless you've got a lot of experience under your belt. Not just 5 years of summer backpacking, but extensive experience in many seasons across many trails and country.

A lurker can come in a place like HST or Whitney Zone or any other community and read all the trip reports by those who are more experienced and think that it isn't so bad, especially since those of us who turned away from a crossing or turned back on a snowy slope aren't rushing on to do a write-up about it.

On the 4th of July, I went up to Thousand Island lake. There were more people diverting to the PCT trail and skipping the JMT portion between Thousand Island/Red's Meadow than those who attempted it, and just as many harrowing tales of being lost from those who actually did attempt it. But then you get on community forums and hear all about how amazing it was and see the few just blazing through the conditions with no problems - yet those are the loudest and most public voices on social media and forums.

The bravery in the wilderness is not that of ego, feats and strength but the courage to leave ego at the door when something looks sketchy.
tarbuckle
Topix Acquainted

Post by tarbuckle »

I love going solo. Hiking at your own pace, making your own decisions,no one to bail on you at the last minute etc. Although splitting up the pack load is always nice. I do however always have my dogs with me. They keep me company and nothing within a 100yrds of camp can move with out them knowing.
Satchel Buddah
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Satchel Buddah »

I have been backpacking solo for about 2-3 years now, it's my normal!

I love every minute of it. My first outing was a bit of a mental game, but nowadays I am totally relaxed going out and staying out. No loneliness here, I just become one of the living things on the mountain amongst many others.

You have to be always vigilant to not get in trouble, watch your step, and you might have to carry a little extra gear for the important stuff. (for example redundancy on water filter or treatment just in case, map and compass in case your gps goes south). Make sure you educate yourself with navigation and first aid. Also I would advise to study your route, conditions and weather very well before going out.
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moonwalker »

The route you outlined is ordinarily not risky, but this year, any of the creeks could be dangerous. You need current reports! Many crossings are beginning to be crossable, but you need to know. But what about Pine Creek? The comment by gregodorizzi should give you pause, as the stream that stopped his trip is normally innocuous (when was that greg?). It can't be overstressed: The farther you have come, the higher the cost of turning back, the more likely you'll make a bad call. That said, hiking solo is the best. -Eric