Sierra shoulder season 2017. Where is everyone going?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra shoulder season 2017. Where is everyone going?

Post by giantbrookie »

kpeter wrote:Taking my daughter to Big McGee lake over Labor Day weekend. I've never been. In fact, I have never backpacking even once in my life any later than the 3rd week of August. A new experience :)
It's a tough go for an academic on semester system, certainly, so I can see why you haven't been out that late. My last backpacking trip beyond mid August was prior to me becoming an academic in 2005. Prior to that I did backpacking trips as late as late October and "motel camping" or car camping trips into early November. It will be great to get out to Big McGee even if you have to fight the inevitable traffic out there and coming back. I kinda wish I was doing the same (I suspect my daughter does, too).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Space Cat
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Space Cat »

North Lake to South Lake loop starting September 24th with my 3 coworkers. None of them have seen any of this country before so it should be exciting getting to show them some of my favorite spots. Can't wait!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

One week wind river range.. Indian reservation side.. end of this week.

Followed by one week..end of September..most probably loop trip from Pine Creek. (with a beer left in the creek as usual for return). Weather permitting.
I had a wonderful October trip two years ago.. perfect weather.. but gotta be prepared to watch conditions before leave, and be prepared to leave quickly if you see things change.
baddog
Topix Novice

Post by baddog »

rlown wrote:Sierra shoulder season 2017..

My definition is the time between the Autumnal Equinox and the Winter Solstice.

I have one trip at the end of Sept and coming out Oct 2nd. Vogelsang area.

Others?
Ha, ha, my definition is when the hordes vacate the valley floor. Means I'll probably be beating you out to the 'sang.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Doubtful the hordes will be there this year. Camps didn't open, and I avoid the 'Sang like the plague.

Other targets on the menu. I turn SE before I even get to "sang.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Trinity Alps. It's much closer, and my vacation time is shot for the year.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Lumbergh21 wrote:Trinity Alps. It's much closer, and my vacation time is shot for the year.
A nice area as well. Wear the orange..
Luckydrew
Topix Novice

Post by Luckydrew »

A leisure week (4 nights actually) in the Little Lakes Valley, 9/11-9/14. Lots of fishing, sitting, a nap or two, and waiting for the sun to light the peaks just right. Temps are trending down so hopefully the mosquitos we've been hearing about will be minimal.
May your path be clear, the skies be sunny, and your lines stay tight
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Check the smoke before going to the Trinity Alps. Horrible right now.

Have a 10-day trip in SEKI planned, but it will also depend on smoke and skeets. Not going until after the 10th of Sept, due to many other obligations. Add the shorter days and fall storms to the skeets and smoke and things look a bit uncertain for the west side. May have to move to the east side.

First two weeks in Oct we are doing a trailer trip to Great Basin NP, Arches, San Juans in Colorado, Grand Canyon, perhaps Zion and back. Hope to see the Aspen in fall colors, as well as visit family on the way and do a bit of day-hiking.

I hope to get a trip to Marble Mountains six days in late Oct, if weather holds. I have been in the Trinity Alps in late Oct and the fall colors were fabulous!
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted

Post by webdweeb »

Doing a 7 day hike in early October from Monument Point on the Grand Canyon North Rim down Tapeats Creek, along the Colorado River, then back up to Monument Point via Deer Creek. My first GC hike-I'm looking forward to it.