Hoover Wilderness Walk-in Permits: How-to

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
shuteye
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Hoover Wilderness Walk-in Permits: How-to

Post by shuteye »

I would like to get a walk-in permit mid-week, next week to do a 3 or 4 day (10 miles a day or less) get acquainted loop of Hoover Wilderness, featuring vistas of the peaks and terrain, ideally the Sawtooths. We'll have light packs—axes and microspikes if necessary—and can manage class 3 but for this introductory trip, would not object to staying on the trail.

What presents itself as a loop to my reading of the map may be unrealistic for a walk-in permit, I really don't know: Twin Lakes/Robinson lakes/Mule Pass/Burro Pass/ Matterhorn Pass/Horsecreek Pass/Horsecreek canyon and out. I plan to call the Bridgeport Ranger Station, but am hoping this post will help me set realistic goals. Better loop, better trailhead, better month, shorter miles?

Eventually I'd like to explore lesser peaks in this area (not the Hulk, the main Sawtooth Traverse, Blacksmith peak etc.) Any advice very much appreciated.

Mark
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Hoover Wilderness Walk-in Permits: How-to

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have never had any trouble getting a walk-in permit at Hoover Wilderness. Especially if you avoid starting on the weekend. If I read your route right, you are coming out Horse Creek trail. This trail is seldom used, so if you cannot get the more popular entry for the Barney Lake trail, just reverse the route.

Be aware that if you park at Twin Lakes they charge for parking (about $20 for a week).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

If you wanted to do a shorter trip, instead of doing two class 2 passes (though Secor lists Matterhorn as class 3), which you mentioned you would like to avoid, you could do one class 2 pass, Ice Lake Pass, either on the way in or out. Would still recommend going to the top of Burro Pass to take in the view of Matterhorn Canyon :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
QITNL
Topix Acquainted

Post by QITNL »

I've never had a problem getting a walk-up permit at Bridgeport. Up until last year, parking was $10. There are no bear lockers at the trailhead, and bears can be active around the campground, so you might want to leave your car clean, no food.

Your trip plan sounds good. I'd much rather hike down Horse Creek than up it. Same goes for Ice Creek, which has some spectacular views of the Hulk. Matterhorn is a fun scramble as is Crown Point from Peeler lake. It's a real nice area, you should enjoy it. Feel free to PM me if I can be of more help.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you hike up or down Ice Lakes route, be sure you are able to cross the creek. It is a deep crossing, even in normal years. If you go in the Barney Lake trail, take a little detour to check it out before committing to come down from Ice Lakes.
shuteye
Topix Acquainted

Post by shuteye »

Thanks all, that really helps. I'll post a TR when we get back.

Mark