Questions about N. lake - S. Lake loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Questions about N. lake - S. Lake loop

Post by kpeter »

When I did the loop in late July of a heavy snow year there were more than 30 streams I waded. However, just three of them were challenging in any way: 1) West Pinacles Creek in Piute Canyon, 2) Evolution Creek in Evolution Valley (I used the meadow crossing) and 3) Dusy Creek coming up out of Le Conte Canyon. It is hard for me to imagine any of those three being difficult in mid September of any year, although I supposed right after a sudden rainstorm it could be bad anywhere.

I avoided the issue of a shuttle by making it a complete loop and hiking from South Lake up through Tyee Lakes and back down to Sabrina, then walking the road to North Lake. It added a day, but Tyee Lakes, Table Mountain, and George lake are somewhat nice to see.
jeffm22
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Questions about N. lake - S. Lake loop

Post by jeffm22 »

Did this trip right after Labor Day last year (a lot less snow pack) perfect time to do it, corwds are light, plenty of campsite choices in Evoluton Valley and the JMT. I wouldnt camp at Wanda Lake if you can avoid it (windy cold).