Armstrong Canyon Recon 07/2017

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BufordT
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Armstrong Canyon Recon 07/2017

Post by BufordT »

This was intended to be a cross-country trek with a summit of Pinchot, but we didn't make it that far. What had been agreed on as a conservative itinerary turned out to be overly ambitious. Time constraints and a couple other factors conspired to remind us who's boss - and that would be the mountains.

But anyway, finding information on Armstrong Canyon was difficult while planning this outing, so here is what we now know - maybe this will be helpful to others:

Armstrong Canyon is so infrequently visited for backcountry trips, the rangers at the Eastern Sierra Interagency Center were not even familiar with its location. Some dated information about the 4WD road that leads to the mouth of the Canyon can be found with a google search. This road saves a few thousand feet worth of climbing from the Owens Valley. There are reports of someone coaxing a 2WD SUV up this road, but that is not something I would want any part of. We negotiated this road in a stock Tacoma 4X4 with aftermarket skids and rock sliders installed. Although the vast majority of the road was easily passable, albeit with a lot of exposure and few places to turn around or pass another vehicle, the skids and sliders were needed to reach the campsite at the mouth of the Canyon. (Disclaimer: While by no means an expert, I have had off-road driving instruction) Having a spotter was necessary, in my opinion - I would not have done this alone. A tire side wall was split during the drive up (one of the previously mentioned factors).

Armstrong Canyon is indeed dry. We were able camp near the head of the Canyon (well short of our intended destination) only because of melt from the remaining snow fields due to the extraordinary winter. Cross country travel up the Canyon is straightforward, there's even a bit of a use trail at the lower portion.

I'm on an iPad and the picture files are too big to attach, so that's it for now.
Celebrate the Trudge at http://enkooth.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Armstrong Canyon Recon 07/2017

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I climbed Pinchot via Armstrong Canyon in the early 2000's. Conditions were similar to what you decribed. We melted snow for water too. I did not have a 4wd so rode with someone else, so have not personally driven the road. I recall the person I rode with had a Toyota Highlander.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Armstrong Canyon Recon 07/2017

Post by maverick »

Have gone over Armstrong Col, there was no water in the Canyon, so snow is a good thing. Here is a one of our members TR with photo's: https://kathywing.smugmug.com/Californi ... /i-S8jHh6g
Rangers did not know about the Goodale Canyon Trailhead either, which is quite difficult to get to, and has pretty Fall colors.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org