Labor Day Backpacking Trip Recos - 4 day/3 night

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tgk5007
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Labor Day Backpacking Trip Recos - 4 day/3 night

Post by tgk5007 »

Hey! Level 3 backpacker here. I was wondering if anyone has any GREAT trip suggestions for a 4 day/3 night trip in the Sierras. I have explored a lot of Southern Sierras so would like to venture a little further North. I also am getting a new camera for this trip so the priority here is beauty, and then solitude. Also, I'm going solo w/ crampons and ice axe.

Right now, I am planning on doing Devils Postpile --> Minaret Lakes --> Cecile Lake --> Iceberg Lake --> Ediza Lake --> Agnew Meadows

But, as I now have an extra day I feel like I kind of want some extra mileage and I've heard these lakes can get pretty packed - so a little more solitude without sacrificing natural beauty.

Open to any and all ideas! Or perhaps if you have side trips that I could venture off on on this trail I could stay longer?

Thanks everyone. :p
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Labor Day Backpacking Trip Recos - 4 day/3 night

Post by rlown »

Welcome to the HST forums!

do you have a permit?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Open to any and all ideas! Or perhaps if you have side trips that I could venture off on on this trail I could stay longer?
You are aware that the Minaret to Iceberg section is off-trail? There is plenty of areas you could visit, but be aware there is also plenty of snow still, Iceberg from the recent pictures, is living up to its namesake, and will not thaw out completely this year, also the section along Iceberg Lake still has the snowfield present.
Visit Cabin Lake, it has a lot less people than Ediza or Minarets, Cecile doesn't get all that much usage either, though the campsites are not the best, Nydiver Lakes is worth a visit too, they should be thawed out, even though they are higher than Iceberg, since they get more sun exposure.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

I second the recommendation of adding Nydiver.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love