Labor Day holiday approaching

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Labor Day holiday approaching

Post by SSSdave »

This is the final few days before next weekends Labor Day holiday. California is now in the second day of record high heat. Thunderstorms had been active for several days last week. Current NWS forecasts show there may be some thunderstorms tomorrow and then Wednesday in the High Sierra before being quiet a couple days before picking up a wee bit on the holiday. Areas around Lake Tahoe and north are more apt to see storms. With the still melting snows at highest areas and a rather active August period of thunderstorms, conditions should be about the most green and flowery with many small runoff streams flowin, that we have seen in at least a decade for this time of summer. A huge bonus from this photographer's perspective is smoke from fires except about a few zones like Yosemite are as clear as we have seen in many years. That noted, the far northern part of the state is very smoky.

I had been planning a week over Shepherd Pass into the upper Kern Basin but after returning from Oregon for the eclipse have not been too motivated to do anything and wimped out instead opting for something easy haha. I'm leaving soon and will try and snag a walk up permit for Piute Pass and then spend a week in Humphreys Basin. I've been there a few times in the past and have a detailed plan of photography. Will semi base camp. Although even without storms, afternoons except Thursday through Saturday are likely to have some cloud buildups that in that area mean Mt Humphreys and the crest will be lighting up with warm light when the sun moves under the cloud deck. Windytv.com is showing unusually light breezes during mornings and even in afternoons through the whole period that could be a boon to afternoon work. Will be carrying spin fishing gear to so will catch some goldens on some days for some protein.

David
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Labor Day holiday approaching

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just go back from a trip out of Sonora Pass. The wildflowers from Bond Pass to Brown Bear Pass are at peak and amazing, especially in the meadow just below Snow Lake. (so are the mosquitoes!) Two early mornings, it rained lightly. Quite a bit of cloud cover the entire 5 days 8/25-29. Smoke settled in after 7PM two days, due to Yosemite fires. Today, hazy along 395, but clear down Kennedy Meadows side. The smoke was very fickle - come and go. I saw very few people (mostly PCT hikers). Probably because everyone is waiting for Labor Day weekend.

Hope your trip turns out well for you. I am looking forward to 100+ in the bay area, babysitting my grandkids, and they have NO air conditioning! Yikes! Even the coast is supposed to get to 90.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Labor Day holiday approaching

Post by dave54 »

Because we are retired and have no timetables, we tend to stay home on the big holidays and let the weekenders have the woods. Next week, though...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=