TR: Sonora Pass loop 8/25-29

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Sonora Pass loop 8/25-29

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote:The fishing rod broke of old age! Good news is that my husband said he would buy me a new rod. In the meantime, we have a Tenkara that I will use and see how I like it.

Mav- I tried to see what was up with that search-and-rescue helicopter and sherrif's cars but could not find anything. Do you have any information?
And yes, that lake was a nice surprise. I wished I had camped there instead of Dorothy Lake.

Funny... I just bought 2 rods which both go with me. They weigh nothing. I always double down on things important.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I actually just read one of the PCT hiker blogs, and the Sheriff stopped them at Sonora Pass and ask if they had seen a hiker called "Tree" who evidently is missing and last seen on that stretch south of Sonora Pass.
Have read that, but until there is an official shout out, cannot really act on it.

PS Will check with my YOSAR contact.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

rlown- I am not fussy - as long as I can dangle a fly in the water and still catch fish, OK for me. Would never carry a spare rod. I do not carry extra anything. I use gear until it fails, then replace it. But a nice new light weight fancy fly rod would really be wonderful! I know they are expensive. I will have to catch a lot of fish to pay-back that investment!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm not fussy either. Got 2 Berkley Lightning rods for 50 bucks. The reels are more important. As I was at hanging basket and watched my companions rod tip slide into the water, I was glad he had a second rod as well. It wasn't his finest moment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

WD, where exactly did you see the Sheriff's car and SAR helo at?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The S&R truck was driving down the private road from Kennedy Meadows resort. The helicopter landed at the end of that road where there are three big out houses and looks like spaces for trailers and campers. The sheriff's car was parked behind the resort resturant. Perhaps the occupants were having coffee or talking to other PCT hikers at the resort. This was about 10AM yesterday.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Nice report! We love that area...happy to see it looking so good.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

According to my professional fly fishing friend (a guide) the rod and line are more important for fly fishing; the reel is just a devise to store line. You do not use it to reel in anything, except at the end of fishing one place. He said if you want to seriouslt fly fish all day, then a $800+ rod is worth it to save your shoulder and arm. If only fishing a few hours at most, a $200-500 rod casts as well, but requires more effort on your part. The $50-200 rods are OK for non-serious fly fishermen (probably like me). But as in all backpack gear, you have to pay for lighter weight. Other thing is that not many backpacking rods that break-down into four pieces. I have noticed that fly casting at the end of a long day carrying a pack can quickly make my arm and back ache.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Here are the fish I caught at Lost Lake. I threw one small one back. Cleaned, they are about 5", just perfect for my pot. Add heads and tails and about 8". Very tastey pink meat. When I fished there in early Oct. a few years ago, the fishing was as easy, but the fish were bigger- all aobut 10" (with heads and tails).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The S&R truck was driving down the private road from Kennedy Meadows resort. The helicopter landed at the end of that road where there are three big out houses and looks like spaces for trailers and campers. The sheriff's car was parked behind the resort resturant. Perhaps the occupants were having coffee or talking to other PCT hikers at the resort. This was about 10AM yesterday.
Interesting, YOSAR says, this sound like "Tree Wang", who's body was found back on 7/31. Maybe the Sheriff was not notified about that, which would be a waste of money and resources.