Full TR: Mono/Parker Pass>Devils Post Pile>Tuolumne Meadows

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Full TR: Mono/Parker Pass>Devils Post Pile>Tuolumne Mead

Post by tie »

I would never have done that descent to Iceberg. That's crazy! Could you not climb above the snow at Cecile? Climbing over Volcanic Ridge would have been faster. :)
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Wow! What a great trip. Excellent photos.
knick11
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by knick11 »

Hobbes wrote:What a cool trip. Nice way to link together a series of routes to create your own hike... PS Did you see any fish in the Alger lakes?
Thanks! I utilized a website called Sierra Mapper to create the route... I would post the link, but it wasn't working at the time.

It's a very useful tool if you haven't heard of it before. I just stumbled upon it honestly. And it was so windy and cold when we set up camp at Alger Lakes that we didn't have time to notice if their were any fish in the lakes, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were.
knick11
Topix Acquainted

Post by knick11 »

gary c. wrote:Great report and beautiful pictures. Thanks for taking the time to put it together and share with us.
Thank you! I love sharing stories, so this was no problem for me.
knick11
Topix Acquainted

Post by knick11 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Were the lakes still frozen on your trip?
They were not. Even in a big snow year, August is a little too late in the season I'm afraid, but there was plenty of snow in the peaks adjacent to the lakes...
Wandering Daisy wrote:My strategy for the snowfield above Iceberg Lake, when I did the SHR, was to wait two hours until a large group came down. I did not have any snow gear either, but walked up in their footsteps. That is a scary route!
It certainly was scary, but quite exhilarating at the same time. Having the heavy backpacks was one of the biggest challenges going down that traverse more than anything. There was very little evidence of people having completed the traverse when we were there. A few weeks prior, rangers had reported needing ice axes, crampons, and rope to descend between the lakes, and for the most part, that was still the case. But I did find some footprints and a use (ish) trail descending down through the vegetation and water cascade that eventually allowed us to get to the bottom where we still only found 2 lines of tracks in the snow that were by no means worn in yet.
Wandering Daisy wrote:When you said a ranger checked permits, does that mean a ranger is checking everyone entering Yosemite on the JMT/PCT? Is your 4th guy doing OK with his knee? It must have been very dissappointing to have to quit the trip.
They were checking permits for anyone who was arriving at the pass, regardless of direction. It was not a law enforcement ranger, but they were on top of it for sure! My friend is doing fine, and yes, he was pretty bummed to have left us. But he left at the right time given the conditions we faced the next day.
knick11
Topix Acquainted

Post by knick11 »

wildhiker wrote:Thanks for the great trip report and photos.... All my August trips in those areas in previous years were very dry - for example, no snow at all on the traverse between Iceberg Lake and Cecile lake in August 1991.
-Phil
Thanks, it was a great trip. All but 1 of my trips have been in wet years... Red Peak Pass Loop in August of 2011 - still tons of snow... Again last summer, but in mid June, so even more snow... This trip... and I did the High Sierra Trail in August 2013, and it was bone dry...
knick11
Topix Acquainted

Post by knick11 »

tie wrote:I would never have done that descent to Iceberg. That's crazy! Could you not climb above the snow at Cecile? Climbing over Volcanic Ridge would have been faster. :)
Perhaps, but I was not very familiar with the Volcanic Ridge area, and it looked pretty treacherous itself, unless we took a far eastward detour. It did cross my mind though. I honestly thought we were going to have to turn around after trying to scout out a route for over an hour. It was an arduous descent, but it was thrilling, fun, yes scary, and worth it when we got back to soil at the mouth of Iceberg Lake. I am 99% sure I descended the only route from Cecile to Iceberg, given the conditions, that was safe enough without snow or ice gear.
knick11
Topix Acquainted

Post by knick11 »

sekihiker wrote:Wow! What a great trip. Excellent photos.
Thanks! Appreciate it :)