Looking for a "SHR" type loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mountainmanjim
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Looking for a "SHR" type loop

Post by mountainmanjim »

Hi there - new to this forum but what an incredible resource! I am looking for any recommendations on a 60-90 (ish) mile loop staying mostly off trail - planning on a Sept 19th start. I completed Roper's route last year and am hoping for a new challenge. I was comfortable with all the passes on the route (but wouldn't want anything more challenging.) Looking at the rating system from another post, I think the best description of my abilities would be "B/C3-1: (Backpackers/Class 3, Level 1)".

As far as where in the sierras - I am pretty flexible as to where (hopefully avoiding the smoke). Stopped by Hortense lake a few years ago and would love to revisit. Also am intrigued by Palisades Glacier.

I will be coming down from Humboldt (had planned on a big loop through the Trinities but that is totally smoked out for the foreseeable future). Appreciate any suggestions and won't broadcast any cherished routes (I have some special places in the trinities that I am fine sharing with a few but wouldn't want to see route descriptions printed in Backpacker Magazine!)

Thanks for any advice - Jim

ps I am doing this solo (did Roper's route solo), but if anyone is interested in pairing up I would be interested. My ability - I averaged 4 days for each section of Roper's route. On trail I am fine doing 20-30 miles a day.
Last edited by mountainmanjim on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Looking for a "SHR" type loop

Post by cgundersen »

Jim,
Much of the following route was a possibility for a loop with a buddy for this summer, but we headed into Dumbbell Lakes instead. But, since you ran through much of the central Sierra on the SHR, the following route will take you further South and avoid any duplication. Also, it includes plenty of challenging ridges: start at Wolverton or Crescent Meadow and aim for Moose Lake (I always think I'll get further, but Moose is a nice stop on day 1). From Moose, you continue heading East aiming for Lonely Lake (via Pterodactyl Pass) and from Lonely do Horn col to traverse the basin on the north side of Elizabeth pass to get to Copper mine Pass. Work your way from there up to Glacier Lake and use Triple Divide Pass to get into the upper reaches of the Kern-Kaweah drainage. From there, you have two options: one is to head down toward Kaweah basin and Red Spur and eventually work your way back to your starting point via the Big Arroyo (and Kaweah gap) or extend it out into the Mineral King area. Option 2 is to do Milestone pass to get into Milestone basin and work your way up toward Lake Reflection (via Thunder Pass) and then use Longley Pass to return to Cloud canyon and connect with Deadman Canyon and head for Big Bird Lake which will enable to return to your starting point after transiting the Tablelands. I have been over each of these passes at least twice, so if you have specific questions, just holler. The one caveat is that I've twice looked for a way over Midway col (going E to W) and been stumped each time. I just have not found a way off that ridge. But, the basin in which Reflection sits is well worth a visit, and I think it was Tomba who recently posted some cool shots of the snow on Longley Pass. Cameron