Trip advice: SEKI Pear Lake, Alta Peak & Meadow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gjanee
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Trip advice: SEKI Pear Lake, Alta Peak & Meadow

Post by gjanee »

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm looking for a 3-day backpack trip next week (i.e., Sept). I was going to do something in Yosemite, but all the smoke has turned me off, so I'm looking at SEKI. I'm thinking:
Day 1: Pear Lake
Day 2: Hike around to Alta Meadow
Day 3: stash backpack at trail intersection, climb Alta Peak (in morning to avoid any afternoon storms), then head back to car

A couple questions. First, is there water at Alta Meadow this time of year? Second, if I had an extra day, is there an interesting way to extend this trip? I've read how others have gone to Moose Lake, but I'm hiking solo and am a little reluctant to go cross-country without a partner.

Thanks!
(and I promise I'll file a trip report)
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trip advice: SEKI Pear Lake, Alta Peak & Meadow

Post by zacjust32 »

There will be water in Alta Meadow this year. I would recommend you do the trip in reverse, Alta Meadow to Alta Peak and cross country down to Pear. The x-country down is easy because so many people do it and you can see the lake the whole way. It was my first x-country experience. From Alta Peak you can easily get to Moose by just following the ridge line over. The Tablelands are some of the easiest off trail navigation in the Sierra, but don't do anything you aren't comfortable.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk