TR: Deadman-Cloud Canyon 8/14-19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Deadman-Cloud Canyon 8/14-19

Post by zacjust32 »

jeremiahkim wrote:Wonderful photos, but care to enlighten me about what a Sierra balloon is? Is that a thing?
Most people here have probably come across at least 1 balloon in their travels. The balloons are carried up to the Sierra when someone lets them go in the valley. I see finding one as a "rite of passage" of sorts, YMMV.

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... on#p102020
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... oon#p54165

My favorite is Rogue's find:

sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

jeremiahkim wrote:... enlighten me about what a Sierra balloon is? Is that a thing?
When people release balloons, most of the time in the San Joaquin Valley, prevailing wind carry them eastward into the mountains. Their remnants are a shocking reminder of civilization when they are found in pristine wilderness. The Mylar balloons are the most durable. Rubber balloons often rot away and only the string or strings are left behind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Post by jeremiahkim »

Imagine that. Seen plenty of trash but have yet to come across a balloon. That singing balloon is a hoot.

Thanks for humoring me zac, sekihiker, and maverick. You learn something new every day.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

In addition to finding balloons in the high country (yes, I have found more than one), I once found a banged up remote control sailplane (about 5 foot wingspan) on the 9000 foot elevation ridge between Castle and Basin Peaks north of Interstate 80 in the Tahoe National Forest. Guess that one got out of range of the radio controller and who knows how far it flew before crashing on the ridge.

I carried it out, of course. On the way down, I assured other passing hikers that "there were no casualties". :-)

-Phil
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

wildhiker wrote: I carried it out, of course. On the way down, I assured other passing hikers that "there were no casualties". :-)
-Phil
lol