TR: Thousand Island Lake loop Sept 7-10, 2017

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR: Thousand Island Lake loop Sept 7-10, 2017

Post by mckee80 »

ahvuong wrote:How was the weather? Temps at night? How was the mosquito situation?
Weather was great, 70/40 maybe. One night was cooler, but no frozen water bottles or anything. I have a 20 degree bag, was warm two nights and a little chilly for one. I probably got two mosquito bites, didn't use DEET or a headnet. I know the weather changes quickly, but it was awesome when I was there. I hiked in a t-shirt. Mornings (sunrise) I wore the puffy down jacket and a hat.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

kpeter wrote:You nabbed some very nice photos on this trip! I enjoyed your report and reminiscing about all of those spots. A shock to see the bridge at Ediza is out--it was such an old friend.
Thanks a lot! It was so fun, can't wait to get out there again. I thought there had to be a mistake with that bridge. I had seen so many pictures of it. My first thought was to call someone and have them come fix it :).
papercup
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by papercup »

Looks like an awesome first Sierra trip (great location for it), and pretty gutsy to go out solo for several nights your first time out. Pictures are beautiful.
B.Kruger
Topix Acquainted

Post by B.Kruger »

Great report and pics, thanks for posting! So glad you had an enjoyable first solo excursion. You sure picked a lovely loop to do it on.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

B.Kruger wrote:Great report and pics, thanks for posting! So glad you had an enjoyable first solo excursion. You sure picked a lovely loop to do it on.
Thanks! I got some good advice on here :)
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

papercup wrote:Looks like an awesome first Sierra trip (great location for it), and pretty gutsy to go out solo for several nights your first time out. Pictures are beautiful.
Thanks! I think I just got a much needed lesson from the get-go about who was the boss out there (and it wasn't me). I'm really glad I stuck it out, though, had an amazing time.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Outstanding photos and trip report! I'm not a morning person at all, but I did drag myself out at dawn once when camped at Thousand Island Lake just to see that sunrise alpenglow on Banner Peak. Well worth it.
-Phil
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

wildhiker wrote:Outstanding photos and trip report! I'm not a morning person at all, but I did drag myself out at dawn once when camped at Thousand Island Lake just to see that sunrise alpenglow on Banner Peak. Well worth it.
-Phil
Thanks! It was pretty amazing watching the sun come up on Banner. The view seemed to change every five minutes.