TR: Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows, 8/12-8/19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows, 8/12-8/19

Post by tmorton23 »

This was the first time I have backpacked on the TYT, and the longest trip I have taken. I went with my brother-in-law and my 13 year old nephew.

Our stops were Saucer Meadow, the first lake west of Grizzly Peak, Wilmer Lake, midway up Kerrick Canyon, just west of Volunteer Peak near the western junction to Pate Valley, Matterhorn Canyon at the Matterhorn ford, and just shy of Glen Aulin at Conness Creek/Cold Canyon junction.

Weather was nice. Only notable weather was a thundershower on the climb up from Bensen Lake, and a brief shower when we made camp at Conness Creek. Other than that, temps were quite pleasant for backpacking. Skies were pretty clear for watching the meteor shower, and the moon rose later and later on our trip until eventually, it didn't rise at all. The dark skies were great.

We did have some short snow fields to cross, mainly in the Emigrant Meadow basin. There was a 20 yard snow patch just shy of the summit of Brown Bear Pass, a few shorter patches on the way down and a couple across Grizzly Meadow. Mosquitos were constant. On a scale of 1-5, we experienced mostly 2 and some 3 during the day, mainly 3 in the afternoon/evening. We did run into a level 5 event crossing Emigrant Meadow.

Water was fantastic! Creeks were not dangerous, but they were definitely cold. Water was everywhere, though. We saw waterfalls coming off the mountainsides and it was so neat to see what a heavy winter brings to the Sierra.

I hope to backpack this trail again and take a different itinerary. I would like to camp at Tilden Lake and Smedberg Lake next time, as well as some of the many great looking campsites we saw along the way.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152401152 ... 5523171792
Last edited by tmorton23 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows, 8/12-8/19

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Do you have a map of your route? The photo goes from Saucer Meadow to Cathedral Lake- that is quite a jump- what was the route between?
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by tmorton23 »

WD-Sorry...first time posting a trip report. I should have linked my Flickr photo album instead of the photo stream. I have replaced the link to go to the photo album instead of the photo stream. The album is in order, at least when I sign in under me. Don't know why the photo stream is out of order. Hopefully, the attached map helps.
KM to TM Map.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks for the trip report. I have done several trips in that area, albeit many years ago. I liked camping at both Tilden and Smedberg Lakes. Tilden for the views and Smedberg for the beach. Great memories.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
BEI
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BEI »

Congratulation on your trip from Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows on the TYT. The details of your trip were clear and the photos were amazing. You will have memories that will last a life time.

I also did the TYT route about three weeks before your trip from 7-23 to 7-30. I stayed at Sheep’s Camp, Jack Main Canyon, Tilden Lake, Kerrick Canyon, East of Benson Lake, Matterhorn Canyon, and Glen Aulin.

I had clear blue skies for the week. The deepest creek was to my upper thigh at Falls Creek to Tilden Lake. Regarding the Mosquitos the scale was three to five.

Snow line was about 9,500 ft. The most snow that I had was Emigrant Meadow Basin. The attached photo was on 7-24 look at Grizzly Peak from Brown Bear Pass. I had snow in the trees south of Tilden Lake. West side of Benson Pass was clear but had large patch of snow on the east side of Benson Pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.