TR: Rae Lakes Loop for a Newbie (the 2nd time) Sep 24-27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Rae Lakes Loop for a Newbie (the 2nd time) Sep 24-27

Post by tahoefoothills »

I seldom post anything, but your approach to writing your trip report and the way you described your preparation and your trip experiences put a smile on my face as I read through it. I laughed out loud once or twice. It sounds like you had a hell of a good trip, even with your touch and go stomach issue. Excellent photos, too. Well done!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Outstanding photos and great write-up. You must be in superb shape to make the trip with that little fuel.
I hope the pikas survive. I've seen them in some pretty low elevations. Hopefully there is plenty of territory for them to move up slope. Your pika observations would be greatly appreciated at https://www.inaturalist.org/ It's free to join and a great place to share your observations of nature.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

sekihiker and texbob,
Thanks for the additional pika photo! Also, I'll be curious at some point to see what kind of data inaturalist come up with; the obvious benefit of photos is that it avoids mis-identification of species. And, if one gets GPS coordinates, that could really up the ante. Anyway, I see where one could get hooked on such a pastime, especially, for critters as cute as pika. Even though I've had a couple of insistent pika tugging on my wool cap in the middle of the night (a very weird sensation), it's still a highlight to see them, even when they've disturbed a sound sleep (yes, tents are a deterrent, but it's great to "sleep out".) Cameron
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for the report. It's nice to "see" the Sierra through your fresh eyes. My first real backpack trip in the Sierra in 1970 was to Rae Lakes from Onion Valley on the east side. Your report brings back those feelings of excitement about the newness of the mountains. I'm glad you had such a positive experience overall in spite of your stomach problems!
-Phil
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

Congratulations on doing this solo, and after a long dry spell. Great job, and very good photos. I can see myself doing something similar, maybe next year. i will be 51 this November

eric
fresno, ca.
texbob
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by texbob »

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I have certainly not stopped thinking about this trek, and I am pondering the plans for my next adventure. However, being in the flat and featureless swamps of Houston, I don't have easy access to something like the Sierra Nevada. There are some (very) limited backpacking opportunities within a couple of hours from home but I will certainly be in for a huge letdown.

But I do have my eyes set on Guadalupe Mountains National Park, and I am thinking about doing the 9-hour drive there in mid December. I can bag 2-3 of the tallest peaks in Texas (8600-8700ft). They won't compare to standing on top of Glen Pass but it looks interesting. The biggest logistical challenge is that I will have to carry all my water.

Sekihiker, I signed up for inaturalist.com and posted the Pika photos there. Very interesting website, and I look forward to looking at it more.