Larry Conn's 5 Year Commemoration

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Larry Conn's 5 Year Commemoration

Post by maverick »

Well, it has already been 5 years, to the day, that our friend and HST member Larry Conn aka “Quentinc” headed into SEKI via Taboose Pass. This is post the post we received from SEKI, a few days later:
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =37&t=8537

HST members then assembled together a large search group for a search for his remains, slated for the following year:
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 7&start=90

Fortunately, his remains were found, before our search was to be conducted, which brought closure for his family.

Larry’s passing is still felt by many of us who knew him, he contributed many fun and exciting TR’s for us to enjoy here on HST, Larry also left a wonderful partner and son behind, who think of him daily.

We will never know what caused Larry’s demise, but can be somewhat at peace in knowing, that his soul could not have been released in a more ideal place. Larry loved the mountains, in his last PM to me, he mention how much he enjoyed the Taboose Pass area, and was looking forward to re-visiting it again.

Here are Larry's TR's, please read and enjoy them, Larry was one of us, he was our mountain brother, he lived for the mountains, just as many of us do. :nod:

Shepherd Pass, Williamson and Tyndall

Mt Russell and the Wall of Death

Round and Round the Ritter Range

Joshua Tree

Olanche Peak, Snow and Adventure

The backpack to Nowhere

Summer comes to Southern California

Kearsarge to 60 Lakes Basin

Mt. Langley and Lots of Snow

Harrison Pass TR

Big Whitney, Tunnel Meadows and More Snow

Evolution Basin in November

The Station Fire 2 years later

Kearsarge Snow and Indecision

Mt. Williamson

Taboose and the lake basins
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Larry Conn's 5 Year Commemoration

Post by Jimr »

When Lisa, Viki and I left this year's meetup, we stopped at the top of Taboose Pass, filled our cups with fresh snowmelt and raised our cup in a toast to Larry's spirit.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Unfortunately photos in most of his trip reports seem to be gone. They were hosted on webshots.

To see photos on his last two trip reports, hosted on photobucket, you can use the following: Got this tip originally from SirBC here.

Edit: The original links became broken. Replaced with new links. If these links became broken again just search for a photobucket extension for your browser.
Last edited by tomba on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hey guys,
Yep, I still reflect on Larry, and although I'd not met him personally, attending the memorial service in LA was very emotional and Jim gave a fabulous account of the links that bind and his words clearly resonated with everyone there. Thanks guys for preserving the memories! Cameron
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I never met him either, but we are all kindred spirits.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

After reading his many trip reports I found myself continually returning to his account of a trip through Dumbell Lakes. I saved one of his photos of the area and made sure to visit the exact spot when I passed through a few years ago. I spent a quiet lunch break in this remote spot, and took some time to meditate and pay my respects. I like to refer to this as Larry Conn Lake. This is the spot:
IMG_0637.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Larry's reports were some of the earliest ones I remember from the days when I first discovered HST. (Mid-2000s) They were striking for their sardonic wit and their clarity. I always loved reading anything Larry wrote.