Longest Time Out

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Longest Time Out

Post by LMBSGV »

The longest without resupply was 17 days, Tuolumne Meadows to Kings Canyon (Cedar Grove). It was the last trip for my 1972 red Kelty pack. According to our bathroom scale it all weighed 57 pounds (with tripod, but without water bottles) .
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Nowhere near as well traveled as most of you, but 11 days is my longest trip w/o a resupply or with one. Went from North Lake over Lamarck Col then south on the JMT and exited over Sawmill Pass. Three of us shared cooking gear, stove and fuel, but carried our own meals. It was supposed to be a 9-day trip, but poor weather and an unexpected route change made it 11. We had little food left, but actually never went hungry as we realized we would be getting out late about mid-trip and supplemented our meals with trout (and rationed our supplies). We ate trout 6 times the last 4 days (not including the last day hiking out). I don't remember the pack weight, but they seemed to always weigh about 60 lbs in those days :)
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

17 day loop out of Virginia Lakes in 1976. No bear cans back then. Food in 3 stuff sacks (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Gang of 4 and we did group dinners. Everyone was responsible for their own breakfast and lunch. My pack (Kelty external Serac) weighed just over 70 pounds to start. By the time we got to Summit Lake at the end of day one, we were all wiped.
JMT in 74 was done with only one food drop at Lake Edison. Two weeks of food at a time, pack weight was in the mid 60s at the start.
Stronger than I was smart back then. Great times.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Recent years have taken/enjoyed many a 14 - 15 day trip with the OldRanger...Sawtooths, No. Yosemite, Woodchuck country, Yosemite 5-slam trip, the Bears, etc. I don't even ask where anymore - he does this extensive, off-trail, route planning thing and I just ask how many days, and provide my own breakfast and lunch menu. He buys all dinners (I do all the cooking...long story there) and afterward just pay my fair share of whatever owed. Our last time, out for 15 days to the Benson area this last September, and my 60 L pack w/ my Weekender was a little under 50 pounds to start.

My longest without a re-supply though was 15 years ago...my last JMT. The Yosemite permit stated 20 days but...after 10 days and a stop off at MTR, my boots pointed/ headed south... proceeded to try some extensive off-trail fishing along rest of the way. Soon enough, discovered the art of trail trading, can trade a stringer of trout for almost anything - dinners, alcohol, ?...you provide and cook trout for whatever treats you can barter for. This plan works very well if flexible and 420 friendly.

That trip, finally hit the Portal after 32 days total. Now my math may be a little off as one day seemingly melted into a week...(up in smoke?), but it looks like that stretch was 22 days, and surprisingly, I came back in with food to spare.
Mountainman who swims with trout
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Many eight and nine day trips in the Sierra, and a few 10-day trips. Because of work schedules, trips began on a Saturday morning and ended the following Sunday. I took longer trips if camping out before and after the trip is included. Many more 4 or 5 day trips (Sierra, Pyramid Lake in Nevada, central and northern California coast, deserts, Lost Coast, Los Padres National Forest, etc). I also did several 8 or 9-day Sierra Club service trips (as a leader and participant) in California (Tuolumne Meadows area, twice, Goodale Pass trail, and Marble Mountains), Wyoming (Cloud Peak Wilderness), Utah (Uintas), and Washington State (Mt. Rainier, twice).
Last edited by SweetSierra on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

12 days last year solo, bear can, ice axe, crampons, and rock shoes. From onion valley cross country all over, to HST meetup, lots of peaks without pack, but many passes with it! Out Taboose pass walked out to 395 to hitchhike. Pack and all equipment UL and came out with some food granted Jim did fish for me 1 night...Thank you for that, but added fish to already packed food...I was hungry by then I think day 8 or 9. Pack about 40 pounds.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

23 days in 1980. I used a North Face external frame pack, and carried a 4 lb down sleeping bag, blue-foam pad, tube tent, MSR white gas stove, lots of Ramen and other noodle dinners, chedder cheese, salamie, Ry-Krisp crackers, etc. A very heavy pack. I created my own version of the Sierra High Route. Resupplied on Day 24 at the South Lake parking lot (brother Van and friends met me at the trailhead). The pack was heavy but I took it easy the first few days.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

I like that sign at McGee Pass :-) Speaking of pack weight, in 2011 when I did my first (and only one so far) long solo trip (8 days) I packed way too much food, a Mountain House meal for every night in addition to soup, the usual nuts, etc. I told myself it was insurance food should I need it. But I had never needed that much in the past. The pack was 48 pounds (and it's a Kelty Cloud ultralight pack). I usually carry 35. I made myself eat those whole dinners. Also, it took me less time to get to my destination then I thought. So for three nights at Lake of the Lone Indian on the Silver Divide I was in one spot and trying to force down the food while day hiking all around to try and at least work up an appetite (hee).
Last edited by SweetSierra on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I've been logging my trips since the 70s and one statistic is trip lengths that have totaled below. So my longest trips have just been 10 days and found that to be about as long as I ever want to be out decades ago so never plan trips any longer. I am a hungry person and take a good deal of food so beyond 10 days would also start to get into weight issues since my photo gear heavy packs are already ridiculous.

trip length number of trips total days
-----------------------------------------------------------
2 = 38 76
3 = 56 168
4 = 36 144
5 = 23 115
6 = 10 60
7 = 11 77
8 = 8 64
9 = 15 135
10 = 3 30
-----------------------------------------------------------
totals 200 869
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

For me, my longest trip was 9 days and my distribution of backpacking trip length is even more heavily weighted toward shorter trips, so that I can easily remember the trips of 5 days or more because I've done so few of them:
9 days: New Army to Shepherd shuttle (1996), 8 days: "Ring Around the Goddard" (1994); Mordor I= Tableland/Deadman Cyn/Glacier Ridge//Cloud Cyn/Colby/Triple Divide/Lion/etc. (2002), Mordor II= Kaweah/Red Spur etc. (2003); 7 days: Dumbbell Lakes (1993), Sawboose (1997). 5 days: Rockbound/Blue/Harriet/Lyell Fork/Twin Island (1994), "Astride the Glacier Divide"= Darwin Cyn, 11092, Knob, Puppet et al.(1997), Blackchuck= Blackcap Basin + Woodchuck Country (2007), Tunechuck= Blue Cyn, Tunemah area + Woodchuck Country (2008), Gold at the End of the Rainbow=Little Lakes Valley to North L. (2015). I have enjoyed the longer trips, although they are not very long by the standard of many. For the types of trips I do, I can't think of a trip I'd like to try that would go longer than about 10 or 11 days.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;