Must Do "A" List

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Must Do "A" List

Post by bobby49 »

If you want to traverse the Sierra Nevada, then get on the High Sierra Trail. It starts at Giant Forest and goes east to Mount Whitney. From the summit, you can exit out on the main Mount Whitney Trail to the east, or you can exit via three or four other passes to the east.

It is all well-worn trail with metal signs at the junctions. You can't go wrong.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Wow, I didn’t realize that this post was about bucket lists. (I don’t believe in it.) I thought that we were just talking about our favorite places in the Sierra. I just want to see and savor as many different geologies, magnificent granite formations, wildflowers, different trees, wildlife and meadows as I can before I am unable. I think that the reason I love the Sierra above all other places I have hiked and backpacked in the world is the extreme diversity! I love how, in just a few miles, the entire world around you can change! Sometimes, just going around a turn in the trail can open up a whole new world!!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Love the Sierra wrote: My question: Am I really missing out?
Yes.

I hike with my dog, she loves to hike. But I routinely plan trips into SEKI (not so much Yosemite any more) and keep going back. And I won't take my dog because I do support the no dog policy in the parks.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Love the Sierra wrote:While we are talking A list, I have a question, please.
Since I will not leave my dogs behind, Yosemite wilderness and Seki Wilderness are, sadly, the forbidden land for me. While I have been backpacking for decades, I do not trust my cross country navigation skills, so I stick with trails.
That said, am I really missing out on the best of the Sierra?
My A list: Any Sierra traverse and Kings Canyon wilderness. My daughter says that I am obsessed just because I cannot go.
My question: Am I really missing out?

No not if one knows where one might travel outside those parks. More than enough to satisfy a long lifetime without ever stepping in a national park. But if one only travels on trails and is not topographic map savvy, I will say YES one is missing out because trail only areas are limited. One will be unaware of some tremendous places outside of parks because both inside and outside of parks there are considerable places that are not in the public's awareness nor in any guidebooks. Additionally for scenic value, it isn't just a matter of passing through icon and popular bucket list locations but rather exploring, getting to know those places, and understanding what season and time of day they are best. Subtle issues all too many backpackers apparently don't have an awareness of the value of.

Last edited by SSSdave on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Wow, I didn’t realize that this post was about bucket lists. (I don’t believe in it.) I thought that we were just talking about our favorite places in the Sierra.
It was not meant to be about any bucket list, did not mention any bucket list in my origional post, but about the places that are on the top of our list to visit.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dmasten
Topix Novice

Post by Dmasten »

I was about to add that things like season and time of day matter are important parts of my "to-do" list as SSSDave mentioned. Last year, I really wanted to visit 1000 Island Lake and the Ansel Adams wilderness in general. I have now visited it three times April, July, and September each time there were differences - some obvious such as the amount of snow, some more subtle such as the lighting and shadows. So my list:
Full JMT (Both Summer and Winter, and each of those twice; once moderate pace, once fast and multiply again by two for NoBo and SoBo) - I've done probably 80-90% of it over the years but am still missing a few bits.

Bear Lakes/Vee Lake/Lake Italy - again, both summer and winter.

Still need to see Cloud and Deadman canyons, and the Tablelands while I'm in the area.

I need to visit the Yosemite high country in winter (the only season I haven't visited, yet!) Hopefully this year.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Dmasten,

Welcome to HST! :)
Any TR's, with pictures, you would care to share, would be highly appreciated by the community. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Hillbasher »

Dave_Ayers wrote:The Yosemite trails I've not hiked yet, most being in the northern third of the park.
TM to Tahoe (or reverse)
HST

Beyond the Sierra but still in CA, the Lost Coast trail and Mt. Shasta.
Have done both LCT and Shasta numerous times. Both are excellent trips, never to be forgotten. When doing Shasta, do NOT do Avalanche Gulch. Too many people. Go to the East side and Hotlum-Wintun ridge. Gets maybe one tenth the people AG gets and is a much nicer climb.