Backcountry Weddings

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Backcountry Weddings

Post by maverick »

Has anyone here have their wedding preformed in the backcountry or attended someone else's, if yes where? I have attended one held on Half Dome and seen a wedding party at East Lake in SEKI.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Backcountry Weddings

Post by The Other Tom »

I saw a wedding party at Glacier Point once. Not exactly the backcountry, but memorable.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Not exactly backcountry but a couple of hundred yards off the road Kathy and I were married at Big Stump meadow, near where we met at the Big Stump entrance to Kings Canyon when I was a ranger at the entrance Station my first summer with NPS. A couple of days after meeting we went on our first date--hiking the Rae Lakes loop.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I attended a wedding on the top of Mt. Shasta. Out of 30, only about a third made it to the top. The bride and groom changed into their wedding clothes at the top. Quite a scene- a wedding dress blowing horizontally in the wind, with boots and crampons for bridal shoes! Two people qualified to marry the couple were in the climbing group, just in case one did not make it. I really did not know the bride and groom very well, but a fellow who did know them invited me because he knew I would make it to the top. Amazingly, the bride's sister, who had never even gone hiking in her life, made it to the top.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Once when I was at convict lake there was a wedding ceremony on the boardwalk on the opposite side of the lake from the road. I was very impressed with that.

and... My honeymoon was backpacking in the Sierra. Back when I didn't have a clue what I was doing ;).
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

This is becoming a trend. So photographers with good cameras and good photography skills can earn a couple thou if they are willing to go where the nuptials are being held, whatever that takes...

Me, I tell my people that if I ever tie the knot again it's going to be at least 5000 feet of gain to attend. Thinking the top of the Watchtower, or possibly Alta Peak.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Attended two for rangers -- one of them at LeConte -- I was the bridesmaid! Alas, they didn't last as a couple but sure a great place for it (also a rescue right in the middle of it. Bride wanted to go (it was her station) but she was in her wedding dress so I went but back in 2 hours). Great time was had by all, including the drunk packer who had an unplanned rodeo with his mule string.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Not backcountry but my wife and I had our wedding at the top of Twin Lakes Falls in Mammoth. We started out trying to get permission to have the wedding at the little green church off 395 near Crowley but couldn't make it happen. Our minister was out of Bishop and performs Sunday services on the Lake Mary boat dock in the summer and is also a part time fly fishing guide.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Dmasten
Topix Novice

Post by Dmasten »

My wedding (nearly a year and a half ago) was at Muriel Lake near Piute Pass.