North Lake to South Lake Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Kravjar
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

North Lake to South Lake Loop

Post by Kravjar »

Thinking of North Lake to South Lake loop next year late July. Is there any difference between doing the trail from North Lake to South Lake (counterclockwise) over South Lake to North Lake?

Thanks
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: North Lake to South Lake Loop

Post by balzaccom »

The only difference, other than views, is that if Lamarck Col is very snowy, if you start at South Lake you give it a few days more to melt....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Dmasten
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Lake to South Lake Loop

Post by Dmasten »

I've never done the actual loop, though I've been on most of the route at various times including the Lamarck Col to Piute Pass variant. As I recall it depends on when and in what direction you want to do the steep parts. The trail up Dusy Basin is pretty steep (3300' in a bit less than 7 miles), whereas the trail from the JMT up the Humphrey's basin is long and fairly constant uphill (maybe 3700' of up, but over nearly 12 miles). In similar fashion there is which way you approach Muir Pass, heading up via Evolution Valley is pretty tame except for two short steep sections, whereas LeConte Canyon is pretty constant steep climb.

So... If you want to get the steep stuff over and done with go South to North, if you want to ease into it then North to South. Either way - remember to turn around frequently so as not to miss any excellent views.

Edit: I'm assuming you are looking at the Piute Pass - Bishop Pass version.