TR: Humphreys/Bear Lakes Basins 8/15/17-8/20/17

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
snowblind
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Humphreys/Bear Lakes Basins 8/15/17-8/20/17

Post by snowblind »

I haven’t had much to write a proper report so here is a condensed version.

Our basic route was: North Lake -> Puppet Col -> BeaRoyce Pass -> Feather Col - > Puppet Col -> North Lake (~45 miles) - http://caltopo.com/m/AJA1

We left our car late on 8/15 (~10pm) and made it to Piute Lake around 12:30am. After sleeping in, we headed up to Piute Pass (only about 150 feet of snow at the pass) and then to Desolation Lake.

It was pretty cold/windy at Upper Desolation (as often is the case), but we did see some tents. We quickly made our way up and over Puppet Col. I had not been over this pass for about 5 years and was surprised by the use trail that headed basically straight down on the east end of the bowl, which I hadn’t remembered. While it was pretty loose and an inelegant way down, it was quick. There are several better routes to take on the way up.

We stayed near Puppet for the night (sans tent) and there were minimal bugs and wind. This plateau is one of my favorite places in John Muir. Always memorable sunsets.

The next day we headed up to the Royce Lakes to make our way over to the Bear Lakes area. Each Royce lake we passed had progressively more snow and ice. As we got to the northernmost Royce Lake, we rounded it clockwise and headed across the snow. While we had micro-spikes, it was a bit steep for not having an ice axe.
IMG_7887-X4.jpg
After the steep snow, my buddy got a nasty cut the length of his shin when he lost his footing on an unbalanced boulder. After a little first aid, we headed up towards BeaRoyce Pass. Here is a photo heading up (west):
IMG_7901-X2.jpg
This was the first time I had been over BeaRoyce and wow was it loose. Fortunately, there was snow much of the way up. Once we crossed it, it was loose gravel all the way down – making it a fun and fast decent. I pity the person who tries to cross this pass in the other direction. Here is a picture looking west:
IMG_7907-X2.jpg
After making it over the pass, we headed to Vee Lake for a bit and then settled on camping on a small ridge between Claw and Vee Lakes.

The next morning, due to my buddy’s injury and after looking at La Salle Col, we decided to punt on La Salle and head over Feather Col, which was easy from Claw Lake. We stayed in the snow until the last few hundred feet or so to the pass. The walk down to Merriam Lake was nice and straightforward. However, there was a bit of steep snow on the southern side of La Salle Lake which we avoided.

When we hit Merriam, we were welcomed by swarms of mosquitos. There was another group camped in the trees (they must have been drenched in DEET to avoid being eaten alive). We found a great spot with minimal mosquitoes on the southern side of Merriam. The snow on the southern end was nearly 15’ thick at the edge of the lake.
IMG_7987-X4.jpg
From Merriam, we headed back up French Canyon to Elba and then to the upper lakes. By early afternoon, the wind was blowing and it was very cold, but we found a nice spot out of the wind between Paris and Puppet Lakes. Again, the sunset from our camp was unbelievable. This was the only night we used a tent and glad we did as after we set it up, it rained for about 30 minutes. Afterwards, the sky cleared up entirely.

We got up early the next morning and made our way back over Puppet Col starting on the east side of the bowl and headed southeast to the top. Here is a photo near the top of Puppet looking west:
IMG_8171-X4.jpg
From there we made great time past the Desolation Lakes, over Piute Pass and down to North Lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Humphreys/Bear Lakes Basins 8/15/17-8/20/17

Post by Harlen »

Fantastic trip and photos! Your first photo, looking back toward Humphreys is a stunner!!
Thanks a lot for posting this, it makes Lizzie want to try BeaRoyce, which you make look like very interesting country, I wonder if a fault-zone creates the col, and explains the fine, gravel-like slope material? Did you guys have the Puppet Lake terrace area all to yourselves? It all looks like beautiful, and stark alpine terrain- glad you got there. We think it would be a fine winter, or spring ski trip. Kudos, the Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by notis »

Thanks for the TR. I've got a loop planned for early summer over BeaRoyce Pass, but because there isn't too much info on it, it's nice to see photos and such. I think we'll be those people you pity who travel it West to East!
kliske
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kliske »

@Notis notis
Anyone done this route this summer yet? Wondering about snow levels and if traction is needed.
Thanks!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Snowblind
Thanks for the TR and the photos. We did part of that trip a few years ago.
Hoping to get back to Humphreys basin and make a trip to Royce Lakes in the near future.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost