Permits @ Road's End- Walk-in chances?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JawnMuir
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Permits @ Road's End- Walk-in chances?

Post by JawnMuir »

Hey all,

Nice forum here. I have a question about permitting. I am hoping to hike the SHT this summer, I was wondering about the permitting process @ Road's End. I know you can request in advance (date is coming up soon!). Is this a heavily permitted place? I was going to be out of cell phone range on 3/1 for a couple when it opens up, I don't know if permits go like hotcakes or what there. Not sure if I should plan to stick in town for a minute since my SHT dates are kinda fixed. I've only been there (Road's End) off-season and didn't have to deal with that there.

Thanks and I appreciate any tips about SHR (pouring over some blogs, Skurka's set and of course Roper as I make my preparations). Looking at a mid or late August start.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Permits @ Road's End- Walk-in chances?

Post by zacjust32 »

If you are entering Bubbs or Woods it will be more competitive than other trails in Cedar Grove. I've started out of Roads End several times and never had a problem getting a permit. I just get to the permit station an hour before it opens and stand in line. If you want to be extra sure you can pick up a permit around 11am the day before you start, but you would have to spend the night in Cedar Grove. If you get there @6am and they are all gone you can always wait until 11am and snag one for the next day.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST!

Since you will be start up on the Copper Creek Trail, it is somewhat easier to pick up a walk-in permit at the Roads End or at Grant Grove Visitors Center if your running late. Also, you will have a better chance by starting your trip mid-week, there are 15 reserved and 5 walk-up permits available for Copper Creek daily.
Whatever you decide to do, get an early start up the trail, it can be very hot on that trail, and a lot of black flies too!

SEKI NP:
Permit Reservations:
Reservations for wilderness permits are available for approximately two-thirds of each daily entry quota (except the Lakes Trail – toward Emerald and Pear Lakes –which cannot be reserved). Permit reservations are highly recommended for large groups, holiday weekends, and late summer weekends.
A Wilderness reservation confirmation letter is not a wilderness permit and cannot be used for overnight travel. Your confirmation letter will include details of where to pick up your permit. Permits are issued during normal operating hours by trailhead rangers who provide important area information. There are no “night drops.” You can pick up your wilderness permit on the afternoon prior to your hike date (after 1:00 pm) or by 9:00 am on the morning of your entry date. If you need to pick up your permit later than 9:00 am on the morning of your entry date, notify the Wilderness Office at (559) 565-3766 or seki_wilderness_office@nps.gov. If you do not make arrangements for a late pickup, your reservation may be cancelled at 9:00 am and your spots given to people waiting for walk-up permits.
The Wilderness Office receives a high volume of phone calls and e-mails. Please review this trip planner and our website prior to calling or sending an email about trip planning.

Walk-up/First-come, First-serve Permits:
Approximately one-third of each quota is available on a first-come, first-serve basis at the station closest to the trailhead starting at 1 pm the day before departure, or on the day of departure.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JawnMuir
Topix Novice

Post by JawnMuir »

Thanks for the tips. Ideally I am hoping to hike up in the late afternoon the day I get there/early eve a few miles at least. And unfortunately probably on a Sunday (working around when I can use my airline miles). So I should probably make a permit reservation which I would then pick up when I get there, is that correct?
Cheers.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So I should probably make a permit reservation which I would then pick up when I get there, is that correct?
Yes, just call them prior, if you cannot get there by 9 am so they will hold it for you, otherwise you will loose it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

A ranger at Road's End told me that the Copper Ck trail quota never fills. Hyperbole? Maybe, but it sounds like your chances are good if that's what you want.

What's the SHT? Is that some version of the SHR? Or a typo?
JawnMuir
Topix Novice

Post by JawnMuir »

Sorry, SHR. Typo!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Don't worry, it would be an anomaly if you couldn't get a walk in for Copper Creek.

Hiking a few miles up in the afternoon like you say will help you understand why :)

Keep in mind it takes a while to get to water. If it was me I'd keep hiking into the dark and just get to Granite Basin.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

All the ingredients of a good walk:
A steep, unrelenting climb, devoid of water, low elevation, south facing, and brutally hot.

Be mentally prepared for the gnats.