Newbie ? about camping areas before Tuolumne to Valley Hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Newbie ? about camping areas before Tuolomne to Valley H

Post by markskor »

wildhiker wrote:Also, as I recall, the Tuolumne Meadows backpacker's campground is $5 per person per night that you put into your registration envelope in the "iron ranger". Bring exact change in cash. I've stayed there several times and have never even seen a ranger come by. The one time I stayed at the backpackers' campground in Yosemite Valley, there was a ranger onsite checking people's permits as they arrived in the afternoon. -Phil
The sign $5 pp was "upgraded" a few years ago to $6 pp in the Yosemite's BP camps...at least those in TM and Valley - (have not stayed Hetch Hetchy or White Wolf BPs recently.) On the bulletin board in the Valley BP, there is another sign too - $3 (half price!) for those with senior pass cards. There is a place on the little yellow pay envelope to put down your card number.
permit.jpg
I have not seen that same 1/2 price message posted up in TM BP, but - treat it the same as clearly stated in the Valley BP.

Regarding the Rangers checking - In the Valley BP, a woman named Cindy has taken over the summer's campground checking duties. She comes over around 6 PM and checks all permits, makes a notation about what tent you use, grills you...a bit of a bit-ch actually. For one person, she takes up two campsites, (back right corner), has two picnic tables, and an attitude...but considering what she has to deal with on a daily basis, I probably would be a bit of an a$$hole too.

The Yosemite BP rules state "one night only" in the BP sites, but - (Some Yosemite secrets?...how it works.) - The (cider house) rules
1) Having real backpacking gear (no 2-story tents, lawn chairs, etc) and a good attitude helps out in many a dispute. Yosemite has seen it all, (knows what is going on), can size you up immediately, and most importantly - recognizes and embraces real backpackers.
2) Coming in by YARTS entitles you to one first night (still must pay) stay-over, but with not needing a permit in hand to set up camp in Valley BP. When Cindy asks, just tell her YARTS. She may ask for a ticket stub...(but as they do not normally give tickets on YARTS) - see rule 1 above.
3) (BTW, this one works after your first YARTS night too)...On the day you pick up your "reserved" permit or get your "next day" wilderness pass, you can stay over Valley BP afterwards as now you are on "the one day before a trip" legal - but you must have a permit in hand. The trouble arises when hikers set up and disappear to Curry before Cindy comes by, or come in late - after 10:00 PM, and then nobody checks/knows anything.
4) In the Valley BP you must pack up all your gear and totally vacate the BP site each and every morning. Rangers and Cindy check around 11:00 AM...any gear left may be confiscated. (see rule 1.)
5) You also get to stay at the BP camps the night immediately after a trip too. Your old wilderness permit - show it to Cindy - pay - makes you legal...one night only.
6) If resupplying - After your "one night after" stay over, pack up your stuff - nothing left, even in the bear boxes - go get your food, mail, and new wilderness permit, and you could then return and stay Valley BP again on a second night as you are taking advantage of the "one night after a trip", and then "one night before another trip" exception. (Rules 3 and 5)
7) In TM, the same set of rules exist as in the Valley BP, but nobody comes by to check, regularly. Well, that's not exactly true...There is no Cindy but Ken (the bear guy) does visit most sites and will report back (or radio in) to the campground rangers if someone is overly blatant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Re: Newbie ? about camping areas before Tuolumne to Valley H

Post by CAMERONM »

I have seen rangers cruise through TM checking the stubs that you are supposed to leave on your shelter. But not methodical and very low-key.

I hope that I never to get to meet Valley Cindy.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Well opinions vary. IMV, the TM BP camps sucks unless your thing is multiple parties per campsite, smoke, and noise at all hours. Be sure to bring ear plugs if you actually want to sleep. IMO, the White Wolf BP camp is far better due to far lower camper density. And I have seen a ranger ticket at WW, though it was years ago.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I stayed the night in WW before catching a ride to TM to do Grand Canyon of the TM. The ranger came knocking on tents at 10 pm, waking people up to see their permit -- did not ask me, but I heard him shaking down someone, probably the folks who didn't look like backpackers with the huge Coleman tent. And the local bear, a big golden one with a name I don't recall, shook us down around 2 am looking for goodies... someone chased him off.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

And the local bear, a big golden one with a name I don't recall, shook us down around 2 am looking for goodies... someone chased him off.
:)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

AlmostThere wrote:I stayed the night in WW before catching a ride to TM to do Grand Canyon of the TM. The ranger came knocking on tents at 10 pm, waking people up to see their permit -- did not ask me, but I heard him shaking down someone, probably the folks who didn't look like backpackers with the huge Coleman tent. And the local bear, a big golden one with a name I don't recall, shook us down around 2 am looking for goodies... someone chased him off.
I've run that bear off so many times over the years that it's ridiculous. Real up close and personal moments. 385 lbs, but unbelievably docile, which causes him to know what a fluorescent orange bean bag shotgun looks like better than he would probably like to. He's actually a very fun bear, because you have to put a lot of effort into not outpacing him as he just casually saunters off most of the time. You just sort of walk with him in the general direction you want him to go and hope he doesn't get distracted by somebody's grill.

But, for the OP, count on the backpacker's camp at TM as your safest bet. WW is usually the last to open, and that's generally mid-late July. Your alternatives west of TM are Porcupine Flat, Yosemite Creek, and Tamarack Flat, but don't plan on finding a spot the Friday before the 4th of July. That weekend is not a good time to explore your camping alternatives anywhere along Hwy 120 (east or west), at all. You might be asses to elbows at the TM backpacker's camp, but it's at least a guarantee if the main campground is open. If not, hang back east of the park, find a hotel, get an early start, grab your permit, park at the trailhead on the day of your departure, just start walking. You'll be at Upper Cathedral by lunchtime. And if all the sites on the north end of the lake are already taken, go to the other side of the lake, back toward the treeline. If nothing there either, head up the hill to the left of the trail, up in the rocks, and poke around for a spot up there.